Question

Controlling Sonos speaker volume via Arduino or Raspberry PI, other?

• 27 January 2018
  • 0 replies

I built a box of sorts for my Sonos Play 1 to sit within. Why? At the request of my wife, to make the unit better match our kitchen decor.

At any rate, I put two knobs on the front of this box. I'd like one knob to control the volume of the Sonos unit and the other, to control the volume of the group of speaker that the enclosed speaker is part of.

At first, I was thinking of using an Arduino board and using commands with this set of protocol:
https://github.com/tmittet/sonos

Basically, the Arduino board would join the WiFi, and push commands for volume, etc.

However, I'm wondering if using the ethernet jack would be better. What I don't know is whether the ethernet jack can supply access to the WiFi for sending signals to control volume or f the jack is ignored if it isn't supplying connectivity. What I mean by this is that I could have a Raspberry PI or an Arduino board within the box with a WiFi enabled board in order to send signals.

So - I guess the real question is - if I want to control a Sonos speaker and the group that its part of (with physical knobs), what would be the best way to achieve this?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.