Answered

connecting without a router

• 27 August 2019
  • 3 replies

We cannot connect our sonos because we do not have access to our router does anyone have suggestions on how to connect it just using wifi?
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 27 August 2019, 01:14

I'm confused. How do you have wifi when you don't have a router? Do you have some other thing set up?
View original

3 replies

I'm confused. How do you have wifi when you don't have a router? Do you have some other thing set up?
So we are at college so we have wifi in our dorm but we have no access to our router.
Ah. That makes things significantly more difficult.

First, I'd recommend that you check with the college's IT department, and see what policies they have. Then I'd recommend a travel router, so that you can connect the travel router to the school's internet, and create your own "protected" network, that you can connect your Sonos devices to the travel router. I've done that in hotels before, it gives you both the access to 'sign in' to the institutions web access page, and connect your Sonos device(s) to the router with an ethernet cable so you can set it up properly. The added benefit is that only you have the ability to play music on the Sonos, rather than everyone connected to the school's internet.