Answered

Connecting a PC to stream audio to sonos

• 23 June 2017
  • 2 replies

Hi there I am wondering if it is possible to connect my home pc to my sonos system to play audio out. I currently have a standalone Bose 2.1 connected but want to play movies on my pc through my sonos system - is this possible and if so how. Many thanks
icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 23 June 2017, 19:46

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Kind of a loaded question you've asked here. There's tons of other threads on this, so I'll just summarize a bit.

1) You haven't told us what Sonos devices you have, so I'm going to have to be general. If you have a Connect, Connect: Amp, or a Play:5, the answer is yes.

2) Use of any of the two types of line-in on those devices (RCA and 3.5mm plug) are subject to a buffering tax, so that Sonos can ensure that they're converted from analog to digital, and then able to be sent across any and all Sonos devices at the same time. This can't be gotten around, to my knowledge, and consequently, there will be about a 70ms delay in any sound you put into the system. This bothers some people who are sensitive to lip-sync issues, but others don't seem to mind. This makes it less than ideal for things like games, and DJ mix purposes, in addition to movies.

3) Sonos created a device to deal with this, called a Playbar (and now a Playbar, as well) which instead of an analog input, has a digital input in the form of an optical input, thus getting rid of that delay. This is the device that they support for sync with things like movies, etc.
To be pedantic, the analog-digital conversion is effectively instant.

Sonos requires 75ms of network buffering to allow for packet jitter across a multi-hop 2.4GHz network, and thus help stop the receiving device from running out of data. PLAYBAR/PLAYBASE can afford to reduce the buffering to 30ms because they talk directly to their surrounds/SUB via a single-hop 5GHz connection.