Question

Connect old sub with Play 1 ethernet port?

• 7 November 2019
  • 4 replies

Does anyone know if the signal that comes out of a play 1 can be interpreted as a signal for use in an old subwoofer? I understand that the signals are almost surely  different but was thinking that my old sub is right next to a single PLay 1 and it would be awesome to somehow connect it up without getting another sonos piece. Trying to think out of the box here.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

If it’s not a Sonos speaker, then no.

What Bruce means here is - if the Sub is not a Sonos Sub.

A play 1 can bond with only a Sonos Sub. The communication protocol is Sonos proprietary.

More fundamentally, Ethernet is a data networking technology not a plain old analog audio signal. 

More fundamentally, Ethernet is a data networking technology not a plain old analog audio signal. 

Digressing just a little - isn't the Sonos protocol more of a barrier? For instance, my play 1 has WiFi off, but because it is on the same network as the Boost/Sub, it bonds with the Sub via an ethernet wire. And it can do this because the Sonos Sub is able to convert the data to an audio signal because it knows the protocol.

Probably this is just semantics…

PS: per Sonos, this is an unsupported way of bonding but it works just fine for me; the advantage is that with the ethernet wired to Boost play 1 WiFi disabled, there is less chance of interference with the physically adjacent Boost, which is wired to the router. The Boost wirelessly links to the Sub, allowing the Sub to bond with the play 1 as well as it would wirelessly, which is the recommended way of bonding it. But my way seems to work just as well, with the Sub not too far from the Boost and enjoying a solid green box connection to it.