Answered

Connect Line delay

• 4 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Hi, I have tried all the relevant historic topics but these all seem to be closed for new comments or questions. Apologies if I have missed something.

I have a 4 room Sonos system and over the last year have introduced a Cambridge Audio CD player and Pro-ject turntable via Connect and RCA switch, which all works well.

I now want to use the Connect to bring these analogue items into an amp and some selected wired speakers to give me some old school HiFi experience in this one room, but to still be able to push out these analogue inputs to the rest of the house, with no delay.

As described elsewhere on the forum, I have tried routing the Connect through the Tape Monitor loop on an old Technics SUV50 Amp, which has two Tape Monitors. When played with CD selected on the ‘Record’ input and tape monitor on the amp input I can hear the sound being picked up by the Connect and passed through the house but nothing through the wired speakers; These only play if I go back to CD input. It doesn’t work on either tape loop - So I am left wondering if this suggestion does not work or if the amp’s Tape Loop monitor functions are both just duff?

I was looking to match up my Cambridge Audio CD player with a CA Amp [with Tape loop monitor] but don’t want to waste my time/hard earned if it doesn’t work.

Can anyone advise? Many thanks.

icon

Best answer by ratty 4 June 2020, 17:25

Fixed or variable, it doesn’t matter. Have you actually instructed the Connect to play its own Line-In through its Line-Outs? It won’t do so automatically, unless Line-In Autoplay is configured.

View original

7 replies

Is the Connect being told to play its own Line-In?

There’s no way to play audio to your whole house without a delay somewhere.  Connecting your CD player to the amp, then amp to Connect is going to result in the your speakers connecting to amp will play before the rest of your Sonos system (assume you resolve the issue with tape monitor).  If you connect the devices to the Connect first, as you previously did, then your speaker connected to amp will play in sync, everything delayed.

As far as the tape monitor issue, it sounds like it’s a limitation of your amp.  It is logical that while monitoring by tape, the connected speakers are turned off.  I would not be surprised if the same happens with the CA amp, or if it doesn’t.  I would definitely test it out before purchasing a second Connect/Port, if you don’t have one already.

The tape loop monitor arrangement delays the sound from the main amp the same amount as the rest of the Sonos players. All should be in sync, albeit fractionally delayed. 

Thanks all.

Ratty, My Line out on the Connect is currently ticked on Fixed? Could that be the problem as I can’t see anywhere to enable or disable Line Out on the Connect part of the app?

Fixed or variable, it doesn’t matter. Have you actually instructed the Connect to play its own Line-In through its Line-Outs? It won’t do so automatically, unless Line-In Autoplay is configured.

Hi Ratty, that was the problem! I had forgotten to move the Autoplay, as it had been allocated to another room. 

Many thanks for the pointer. All works now, both Sonos products and the analogue HiFi, without any delay!

Regards, 

Badge

I have a “delay” problem, and this has been interesting, but mine is (1) a time delay for line-in only on a Play 5 Gen 2, and (2) the delay is 2.3 seconds, and (3) it has only appeared in the last 2-3 weeks. 2 yearsdd it has been working very well with imperceptible delay issues. Nothing else has changed, there is no wifi range extender, and an identical Play 5 has not got this problem.  If I need to I will start another thread using “Delay line-in Play 5” - but if this gives anyone useful ideas, please respond. Thanks! Tim.