Question

Connect:Amp + Connect

Hi, 

I have a Connect:Amp(ZP120) in my living room powering a set of speakers, if I was to buy a Connect, could I swap them around, Connect in the living room with my amp and Connect:Amp in the kitchen and would I be able to group them to play the same music together and would there be any lag.

11 replies

The CONNECT does not have the same ability to power speakers that the CONNECT:AMP does, but other than that, they should function similarly, and be able to be grouped together with no delays. 

However, if you’re using a separate amp with speakers to connect to the CONNECT, there will be a delay when using that amp to feed the line in on the Sonos. So in that case only, there would be a delay in playing the speakers connected to the amp, and the Sonos speakers. When streaming music from Sonos, there would be no delay. 

The CONNECT does not have the same ability to power speakers that the CONNECT:AMP does, but other than that, they should function similarly, and be able to be grouped together with no delays. 

However, if you’re using a separate amp with speakers to connect to the CONNECT, there will be a delay when using that amp to feed the line in on the Sonos. So in that case only, there would be a delay in playing the speakers connected to the amp, and the Sonos speakers. When streaming music from Sonos, there would be no delay. 

Cheers for the quick reply,

I was thinking of connecting the Sonos connect to my Marantz stereo amp in the living room if I buy one, then put my Sonos Connect Amp in the kitchen with a set of speakers, so you’re saying that way, there would be a lag between the 2 rooms.

My amp is an old Marantz PM4000, it has 2 speaker A/B buttons function on the front, could I run some speaker wire for speakers to the kitchen using a Sonos Connect (ZP90) connected to the MPM4000 in the living room which I could then have living room on/off, kitchen on/off or both on together without any lag?.

There would only be a delay when the origin of the music is on the Marantz say the radio, a turntable or tape deck, etc, and you’re playing on the speakers connected to the Marantz at the same time as the Sonos. If you’re streaming from Sonos, all speakers would be in sync. 

It’s the line in on the Sonos that incurs the delay. In all cases, the Sonos speakers will be in sync. The only potential delay is when using the Marantz speakers in addition. 

There would only be a delay when the origin of the music is on the Marantz say the radio, a turntable or tape deck, etc, and you’re playing on the speakers connected to the Marantz at the same time as the Sonos. If you’re streaming from Sonos, all speakers would be in sync. 

It’s the line in on the Sonos that incurs the delay. In all cases, the Sonos speakers will be in sync. The only potential delay is when using the Marantz speakers in addition. 

OK, back to drawing board, I suppose the last resort would be to forget the Sonos Connect (ZP90) and my Marantz amp. Then just use my Sonos Connect Amp (ZP120) which can take 2 sets of bookshelf speakers one for the living room and one for the kitchen, that would mean I would have the same music, radio etc on both rooms with no lag, is that correct?.

Any and all Sonos devices will work with each other in sync, when streaming music through the Sonos app, yes. 

As I said before, your only issue would be when you’re using the Marantz to input music into the Sonos ecosystem. If you’re only playing a Sonos stream, all speakers, including the Marantz’s would be in sync. 

Cheers,

My problem started when the S2 update came about, I had my Connect Amp (living room) and my 2 play 1’s (kitchen) all playing music, radio in sync but I updated my play 1’s to S2, should have just kept everything on S1.

Yes, you can’t ‘group’ between S1 and S2 systems. 

I updated my play 1’s to S2, should have just kept everything on S1.

While the first quote is correct, you can still take the 1 units back to S1 via a factory reset.

I updated my play 1’s to S2, should have just kept everything on S1.

While the first quote is correct, you can still take the 1 units back to S1 via a factory reset.

I did see that but Sonos does not recommend it.

Sonos says this, as of today:

Is this process reversible?

While we don’t recommend downgrading your products to S1 after updating to S2, it is possible to downgrade by resetting the S2 products to their factory settings and adding them to an existing S1 system. An existing Sonos product running S1 software is required to downgrade an S2 product back to S1. Note that all settings and preferences will be lost when downgrading a product from S2 to S1.

Make of that what you will.

Sonos says this, as of today:

Is this process reversible?

While we don’t recommend downgrading your products to S1 after updating to S2, it is possible to downgrade by resetting the S2 products to their factory settings and adding them to an existing S1 system. An existing Sonos product running S1 software is required to downgrade an S2 product back to S1. Note that all settings and preferences will be lost when downgrading a product from S2 to S1.

Make of that what you will.

Yes, that’s what I read, I would rather not chance it.