Answered

Connect AMP analog input delay

• 11 March 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi.

Im looking in to getting an amp for my bookshelf stereo speakers (B&W CM5) and the Connect:AMP looks really interesting to me.
Does anyone know if there would be a delay playing the sound from the line in directly to the speakers? I know that if I want to have the sound distributed to other sonos speakers via network there will be a delay but can I choose to only play the sound on the connected speaker directly?

If this works, I could use my CM5 speakers as computer speakers for gaming and so on with no delay, and if I want, also use them in my multi room setup together with my Sonos play 1 (with the usual delay). Correct?

Appreciate any answers, I would really want this to work 🙂
icon

Best answer by pwt 11 March 2018, 08:03

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
The delay is 70ms if Line-In Audio Compression is set to Uncompressed. I find this acceptable for most purposes, but I suspect that gaming would require tighter synchronisation than this. There is presently no way to circumvent the delay, even if the output is exclusively to the CONNECT:AMP’s speakers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
Yes - normal amp and a Connect is the way forwards.
I see. Thank you for the clarification! Then I guess I should use a ‘normal’ amp for latency free sound and just add a SONOS Connect to one of the inputs to add it to the multi room. From other threads I understand that ‘normal’ amps also add their own latency so my best choice here should be an analog amp without any fancy sound processing right?

Though I have to say that the 70ms is quite impressive considering the sound could be streamed to another speaker as well by that time. But for gaming, music making and watching videos 70ms is unfortunately unacceptable.
I realize I want the Sonos to be much more then advertised. 😛
Thank you for your answers, the world of sonos is very nice but it has some quirks. 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Just to share my experience, I'm using a connect:amp connected to my TV.

I use it for streaming media (plex) and light gaming (Nintendo switch) and the delay isn't noticeable to me. I'm not insensitive to lip sync issues, it's just not enough to be noticeable (I think when you hit 100-150 ms it becomes very obvious). Should be easily testable using a decent media player where you can manually adjust audio delay on the computer, like VLC. Do note that I think Bluetooth speakers/headset have around 100ms latency, for reference.

When playing games, the delay isn't noticeable either, but I'm guessing with music games like guitar hero or similar where tight sync is required would be problematic.

With that said, for perfect sync, you need another setup. I'm happy with mine though.
Should be easily testable using a decent media player where you can manually adjust audio delay on the computer, like VLC.
Very good tip, i will test this just for fun!

I'm gonna go with a regular (NAD C316) analog stereo amp and a SONOS Connect for music, and the a USB dac for low latency sound from the computer. It will be slightly more expensive and a lot bulkier but much more flexible.