Closed „Grouping across S1 and S2?“ Answere / Solution

• 23 January 2022
  • 13 replies

To get rid of this commercial ban / mistreatment of clients I made some thoughts and developed a very simple and cheap solution.

To play the same music synchronized in all of my rooms (setting with a S2 net and a S1 net) I started a spotify session. In this spotify session I plazed another user which is also under my control. After I done so I activated a user on each, S2 and S1.

As soon as I‘m playing Music in one of these Spotify Users the music plays synchronized in both S2 as well as S1 net.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

13 replies

To get rid of this commercial ban / mistreatment of clients I made some thoughts and developed a very simple and cheap solution.

To play the same music synchronized in all of my rooms (setting with a S2 net and a S1 net) I started a spotify session. In this spotify session I plazed another user which is also under my control. After I done so I activated a user on each, S2 and S1.

As soon as I‘m playing Music in one of these Spotify Users the music plays synchronized in both S2 as well as S1 net.

In order to synchronize playback, Sonos devices communicate with each other using sophisticated timing cues to keep playback from drifting.  I think using your method, where the devices aren’t exchanging any timing cues, playback would drift in a relatively short time, resulting in loss of sync.

It is up to Sonos to support also legacy boxes like play:5 gen1 and connects. With all the other Sonos boxes.

i do have many Sonos boxes of all kinds in S2.

just a few Play:5 gen. 1 are in the S1.

but to be honest there is no need to replace them.

following on that I was looking for a solution and I found the explained one.

with some tricks in my LAN I achieved a synch.

and it is working over hours very good.

What "tricks" in your LAN are those?

I‘m using a business router an can configure databases, priorities etc.

by that I found a setting with ends up in a synch

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

I‘m using a business router an can configure databases, priorities etc.

by that I found a setting with ends up in a synch

Which router, and what setting please?

The setting is individual for every environment.

it is a levelone 4 WAN Point router

The setting is individual for every environment.

How convenient! :thinking:

Should also be possible with a dial wan port of Tp link, several Cisco router, Lancôme etc.

Sorry but it depend on the usage of WLAN and LAN or one system in WLan and the other in LAN, in case of WLAN of the distance between the box who is the slowest in the row, and so on.

Sorry but it depend on the usage of WLAN and LAN or one system in WLan and the other in LAN, in case of WLAN of the distance between the box who is the slowest in the row, and so on.

I don't believe you.  There's no way to start streaming on S1 and S2 and have them be in sync, network "tricks" or not.  Even if you queued them up and pushed Play on both apps at the exact same time, they would eventually drift.  I don't know what you are up to with this claim, but your story is full of holes.

I do not have to push on play in both systems. I‘m using a spitify group session.

spitify synchs two accounts.

Without any modifications the are almost in synch.

The S1 was roughly 1200ms behind the S2 (in my environment - both WLan).

First optimization of that approach was to connect the S1 by LAN.

After I did it, the systems was much more in synch.

Afterwards I configured the network settings to bring them into synch.

And it works over a few weeks now.

For any other streaming companies, or only Spotify?

I have just tested it with Spotify group session beta