Question

Changing IP Addresses with a BOOST...

• 21 January 2018
  • 30 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +7
  • Avid Contributor I
  • 369 replies
I am trying to set my SONOS specific to specific IP addresses.

The current SONOS IP addresses are 192.168.xx.100 to 192.168.xx.106 as assigned via the DHCP server.The revised SONOS IP addresses are to be 192.168.xx.200 to 192.168.xx.206.

While I am well aware as to how to assign / move a DHCP ASSIGNED IP address to a DHCP RESERVED IP address (as I have successfully done for other devices) it is not working for any of my SONOS devices.

While I was looking for solutions to this through the internet I noticed that the problem MAY BE that I have a SONOS Boost connected to 192.168.xx.100 with all other devices connected to the SONOS Boost per this article (see https://sonos.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3453/~/how-to-check-if-sonos-is-in-a-standard-or-boost-setup ). That is I noticed saw "WM: 0" for all devices. As I understand things this is likely the problem as the SONOS devices are getting there IP Addresses from the BOOST because they are connected to the BOOST (i.e. is this correct)?

With that, please explain how I should go about creating RESERVED IP addresses when using a SONOS Boost.

TIA!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

30 replies

No that is not correct. The Boost is not a router and does not allocate IP addresses. I don't know why you are having this problem as many Sonos users have used reserved IP addresses when in Boost mode, myself included.
Why are you writing xx instead of a specific number in the third element? Does this vary?
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Why are you writing xx instead of a specific number in the third element? Does this vary?

No, the third element does not vary. I am writing XX just for privacy reasons.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
No that is not correct. The Boost is not a router and does not allocate IP addresses. I don't know why you are having this problem as many Sonos users have used reserved IP addresses when in Boost mode, myself included.

This is disturbing as my setup wont change the IP Address.

That said, any ideas or suggestions as to how best to proceed?

TIA

There is no issue with privacy but thanks for clarifying.

Some routers require reserved addresses to be outside the permitted DHCP range. Others require it to be within. In the past I have just reserved the ones that DHCP had previously assigned. Have you tried that?
If your system is functioning fine then this may not matter anyway
Userlevel 1
Badge +7

There is no issue with privacy but thanks for clarifying.

Some routers require reserved addresses to be outside the permitted DHCP range. Others require it to be within. In the past I have just reserved the ones that DHCP had previously assigned. Have you tried that?

Agreed and understood.

The thing is that I have successfully reserved IP Addresses for every other (i..e Non-SONOS) device on my network so why the stuborness issue with the SONOS Zones, I have even gone to the extreme of:

1. Unplugged all SONOS devices from their power outlets.

2. Set the DHCP Lease time for 30 minutes

3. Setup the MAC ID based reserved IP addresses for the SONOS Zones.

4. Waited one hour then went on the router to ensure that the DHCP Assigned IP Addresses had been dropped -- and they were!

5. Powered up the SONOS Zones and could not believed my eyes, they actually returned to the DHCP Assigned IP Addresses rather than the MAC IS Reserved IP addresses.

What gives?
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
If your system is functioning fine then this may not matter anyway

It only matters because I am TYPE AAA when it comes to my router setup and I use different IP Ranges for different classes / types of devices and this stubborness is meesing everything up!
Getting to limits of my knowledge here. But will your router not allow you to reserve 100 to 106? What happens if you try to use one of 200 to 206 for a non Sonos device?
Power off the Sonos units. Restart the DHCP server (presumably the router). Power up the Sonos units.

Assuming the DHCP server has taken the new reservations these should be assigned to the Sonos units.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Getting to limits of my knowledge here. But will your router not allow you to reserve 100 to 106? What happens if you try to use one of 200 to 206 for a non Sonos device?

It works. That is I have assigned other devices to RESERVED IP Addresses within that range. Appreciate the suggestion though!

Thx!
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Power off the Sonos units. Restart the DHCP server (presumably the router). Power up the Sonos units.

Assuming the DHCP server has taken the new reservations these should be assigned to the Sonos units.

Ratty:

First good bumping into after all these years. You may remember me from the old / original SONOS forum.

In any event, I tried exactly what you suggested (see the 8th posting in this thread) and it failed to catch onto the new RESERVED IP Addresses.

I would appreciate any and all otehr suggestions that you have.

Thx!
I cannot think of any reason that this would make a difference, but all the Sonos devices will appear to the router as wired when in Boost mode. Just throwing that in!
I guess there is also the standard advice to make sure you are running the latest firmware on the router.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
I cannot think of any reason that this would make a difference, but all the Sonos devices will appear to the router as wired when in Boost mode. Just throwing that in!

Can you please expand on this comments as I am not sure I understand what you mean. Thx!
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
I guess there is also the standard advice to make sure you are running the latest firmware on the router.

I confirm that I am running the latest firmware...

Can you please expand on this comments as I am not sure I understand what you mean. Thx!
I just wondered if some setting or feature of your router caused it to treat wired devices differently, and maybe these are the only wired devices you have. Any Sonos units connected in Boost mode will be treated as wired by your router. It seems very unlikely but I am just trying to think why Sonos units might be treated differently.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
So what does this tell you...

I disconnected all the SONOS devcies...I then changes / restricted the DHCP address range...I plugged the SONOS devices in and rather than taking on their reserved IP addresses, they took on the first available IP address within the DHCP range...

What could be causing this noting this only happens to my SONOS devices...
Did restricting the dynamic DHCP pool mean that the Sonos reserved IPs now fall outside of it? If so it implies that reservations are only valid if within the pool range.

BTW, the DHCP server should detect an attempt to map a MAC to multiple IPs but it would be worth checking that there aren't any duplicate entries.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Did restricting the dynamic DHCP pool mean that the Sonos reserved IPs now fall outside of it? If so it implies that reservations are only valid if within the pool range.

Two points:

1. When I restricted (i.e shrank) the DHCP range the SONOS Zones took the first available IP addresses (note: all other devices have either static IP address or MAC ID reserved IP addresses meaning that the SONOS Zones are the only devices that i) have reserved IP addresses and ii) are not honouring / following their resered IP addresses.

This router allows reserved IP addresses outside the DHCP range. I know this to be true because I have other devices (i.e. computers, printers, iPhones, etc.) for which I can successfully set reserved IP addresses outside of the DHCP range.

BTW, the DHCP server should detect an attempt to map a MAC to multiple IPs but it would be worth checking that there aren't any duplicate entries.

Agreed and I have checked, there are no duplicates!

Any other ideas?
As an experiment, take a 'non-essential' player and factory reset it. Add it back and see what IP it ends up with.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
I have solved the problem! I am however very frustrated with the solution.

I re-read the above posts and decided for laughs that I would run / set the DHCP range all the way to 255. To avoid retypping my experience, please see http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/CODA-4582-MAC-ID-Reserved-DHCP-IP-Address-Works-Inconsistently/td-p/415121

Thanks for all the help and insight which ultimately solved the problem! M U C H A P P R E C I A T E D!
Right.... so some rather inconsistent behaviour from the router software by the sound of things.

I rarely entrust a router's DHCP server for this kind of thing, preferring a separate box. It allows for more reservations than most home routers, 2-to-1 MAC-IP mappings where required (handy where WiFi extenders substitute a virtual MAC for attached clients), and is not affected by router substitution.
Userlevel 1
Badge +7
Right.... so some rather inconsistent behaviour from the router software by the sound of things.

Lesson learned, I wont make that mistake again! Forget about the frustration, the loss / waste of "weekend time" is thoroughly annoying!

I rarely entrust a router's DHCP server for this kind of thing, preferring a separate box. It allows for more reservations than most home routers, 2-to-1 MAC-IP mappings where required (handy where WiFi extenders substitute a virtual MAC for attached clients), and is not affected by router substitution.

Agreed. Could / would you share the separate box that you use for this as well as its wiring as I am thinking there must be some software based solution that could / would work well with a re-purposed laptop!

Thx!
Well. Our router had to be replaced and I can't get past adding a bridge/ boost. When it comes to adding a speaker it says update your software. It's already up to date.

What crap software and a crop system. Wish I'd never bought this system. I can play umpteen Bluetooth players. No issues. This is just garbage.