Answered

Change Volume when AirPlaying to PlayBar through a LG TV with Airplay.

• 10 July 2020
  • 3 replies

Badge

Hi there,

I have a LG TV 2019 Airplay enabled that is connected to a Playbar. When I am Airplaying to the TV and the Playbar is connected via optical I cannot change the volume from my iPhone with the volume controls as I can do when airplaying to my Play One. If I change the sound output on the TV from Optical (Playbar) to TV Speakers I am able to change the volume with the iPhone volume controls when Airplaying.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

icon

Best answer by Paul A 12 July 2020, 00:37

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @camelgrana.

Welcome to the Sonos community and thanks for reaching out to us.

I would like to give some clarification that Airplay is the same as direct control. In the situation that you are able to change the volume using your iPhone when you are playing music via Airplay through your Sonos One, that is because your iPhone is directly controlling the Sonos One. On the other hand, when you Airplay through your TV and the audio is coming out of the Playbar, this is because the Playbar is directly connected to the TV which is acting as a third party speaker of the TV but that does not mean that your iPhone is controlling the Playbar. The iPhone is controlling only the TV and the volume will not change on the Playbar since TV speakers is disabled and the Sonos Playbar has it’s own volume control through either using the Sonos app or the Remote control added to the Playbar. We need to consider the Playbar as a separate piece of Hardware than your TV. This is the same situation if you group your Sonos One with your Playbar and play music through your Sonos One via Airplay. When you change the volume using your iPhone’s volume control, you would only change the volume of your Sonos One and not the Playbar unless you change the volume through the Sonos app for both devices.

Please give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Please let me know if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,

Badge

Hi Paul. 

All crystal clear now, thank you very much for your explanation. 

Regards. 

Userlevel 6
Badge +17

Hi @camelgrana.

Thanks for the feedback.

I’m glad everything went clear.

Please do not hesitate to reachout if you still have further questions or concerns. We are always here to help.

Thanks,