Question

Can the Sonos speaker api be used on prem without the internet

• 10 September 2019
  • 2 replies

I want to use sonos speakers on a ship, where the Internet is not always available. My question is whether or not the api to mute the speaker (a requirement at sea) can be sent over wifi to the speaker address (mac, or ip address) peer to peer from my custom application? I will have a record player plugged into the speaker aux.

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
Yes...almost positive. There are some APIs that work through Sonos cloud server, such as IFTTT functions, but the majority do not and existed before the cloud server existed. There are also a few 3rd party hubs and apps that can control Sonos.

You should check out the developer portal for more details.

Out of curiosity why do you need a custom app? Is the mute command to be triggered by an event? You may be able to use something like smartthings, lutron, yonomi for that. If you just want to be able to press a button on your phone, the Sonos app can handle it. You can get a 3rd party remote for faster access if needed. And of course, you can just press the mute button on the speaker themselves.
Yes, this is event driven, so it has to be from my custom app. I've checked out the developer portal, and, of course, they don't really anticipate a non-internet world.