Answered

Can I use Play 5 headphone port as line out to amplifier?

I have a play 5 that’s great, but moved into a new house with a really good sound system. Can I use the headphone port on the play 5 to connect to my amp and basically use the old play 5 instead of a Sonos ‘Port’?

I understand this would mute the play 5 speaker.

Thanks 

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 20 May 2022, 14:07

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Notwithstanding the level/impedance mismatch between the headphone outlet on the Play:5/g1 and an amp’s line-level input, in my experience it has relatively indifferent signal-to-noise performance, which would only be magnified by the house’s ‘really good sound system’.

Could you? Assuming it’s a Gen 1 PLAY:5 that actually has a headphone out, yes, probably, but I wouldn’t recommend it, as it’s often not useful to supply a variable level output to an amp of any kind. Difficult to set the appropriate level to match what the Amp is looking for. 

Later versions of the PLAY:5 dropped the headphone output, and only have a line in.