Can Apple TV 4k airplay 2 send dolby atmos signal to Sonos arc

• 7 April 2021
  • 7 replies

Badge

Hi, I have an Apple TV 4K and old TV with no HDMI ARC/eARC capabilties, i would like to buy Sonos Arc.

If sonos user can confirm if Apple 4K TV can airplay dolby atmos to Arc.i understand IOS 14 added new features.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 7

No, Dolby Atmos audio cannot be streamed over AirPlay from an Apple TV 4K to a Sonos Arc. You need a TV equipped with HDMI eARC.

Badge

Hi, 

I had a chat with Apple support after this morning , Airplay 2 can send Dolby atmos signal to non apple products too. 

Thanks 

Karthik

Userlevel 7

Hi, 

I had a chat with Apple support after this morning , Airplay 2 can send Dolby atmos signal to non apple products too. 

Thanks 

Karthik

Even if this were true, don’t expect to be able to AirPlay Dolby Atmos audio from the Apple TV 4K to the Sonos Arc. 

Hi, 

Thanks 

Karthik

Then you misunderstood, as this is utter rubbish.  Apple TV 4K can play Atmos via HDMI (given the right connections and equipment).  Not by  Airplay 2.

Badge

Hi , 

Thank you, i understand the quality  provided by HDMI will be better than Airplay 2. i have seen other members states that  Dolby atmos working with airplay 2 in sonos arc., that why i posted this question for confirmation.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204069

Please note the ‘learn more’ section at the end.

Userlevel 7

Hi , 

Thank you, i understand the quality  provided by HDMI will be better than Airplay 2. i have seen other members states that  Dolby atmos working with airplay 2 in sonos arc., that why i posted this question for confirmation.

Read those threads closer. They thought they were sending Dolby Atmos over AirPlay initially, but upon further scrutiny, it was determined it wasn’t the case.