Answered

Can an S1 device provide sonosnet to S2 devices

Ca anyone tell me if a gen 1 Play5 can provide sonosnet to S2 devices if that’s the only hardwired device

Thanks

icon

Best answer by Ryan S 19 May 2020, 19:31

melvimbe and John are correct. Adding to that, if you were looking to set up a split system when S2 comes out, devices on the S1 household would be completely separate from the S2 household; they would not be participating in SonosNet together.

Edit: I didn’t drink enough coffee.

View original

10 replies

Hi. I am not quite sure what you mean, but only 'modern' products can be part of an S2 system. A gen 1 Play:5 cannot be part of an S2 system and so cannot be the wired device for such a system. 

I wouldn’t think it’s possible just wanted to confirm. So can a play5 provide Sonosnet to an s2 device(s) or would an s2 be required hardwiring separately. In effect two setups on one sonosnet

I wouldn’t think it’s possible just wanted to confirm. So can a play5 provide Sonosnet to an s2 device(s) or would an s2 be required hardwiring separately. In effect two setups on one sonosnet

What john said is correct.  A legacy device, including your play:5 gen 1, cannot be used in an S2 system at all.  Therefore it can’t act as the wired component of your S2 system.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

melvimbe and John are correct. Adding to that, if you were looking to set up a split system when S2 comes out, devices on the S1 household would be completely separate from the S2 household; they would not be participating in SonosNet together.

Edit: I didn’t drink enough coffee.

I think that’s melvimbe, not Airgetlam :)

But we’re both fairly chatty….

True and true.

Userlevel 7
Badge +26

I think that’s melvimbe, not Airgetlam :)

But we’re both fairly chatty….

It’s because you guys have the same colors in your avatars :) Definitely, both using the same color blue in there just to confuse me.

Or maybe I just haven’t had enough coffee.

Must be the coffee thing, I don’t see a lot of blue in my avatar, mostly green. Besides, mine’s a tartan, his is a dog. :)

So does this mean that my Play:5 (on S1-platform) is still available in the Sonos app, but I just can’t group it with other devices that are on the S2-platform?

So does this mean that my Play:5 (on S1-platform) is still available in the Sonos app, but I just can’t group it with other devices that are on the S2-platform?

No, it means if you split your system, yhere will be two versions of the Sonos app. The Play:5 will be on the S1 app,and the S2 devices will be on the S2 app/.