Question

Can a PlayBar be set up for TV (optical) and Home Music (Ethernet)

• 14 March 2017
  • 2 replies

I'm setting up a home theater system and was interested in using the PlayBar. It would be nice if the PlayBar and Sub and surround speakers can be used for music as well when not being used with the TV. How does that work if the optical line goes from the TV to the PlayBar and the Sub and surround Play 1 are synced with the PlayBar.

Can I also run an Ethernet cable to the PlayBar and then control it using the Sonos app or Spotify to play music when the TV isn't being used?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

2 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Yes that is the unique feature of Sonos. You can even control how music is played over the surrounds in the room setting's menu. There is a music bar in the surrounds menu option that allows you to increase it decrease the sound of music over the playbar.

I like how it sounds. With music over the 5.1 Surround it almost feels like you are on stage amongst the musicians.
One additional piece of information, based on your post: the Playbar does not need to be connected to your router with a ethernet cable in order to play music using the app. It can just hang off of your wifi (which it probably already is since you set it up to work with your TV)

So no need for an extra (long!) ethernet cable 🙂