Question

BT Whole home wifi - will it work with sonos?

• 24 May 2017
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 2
I want to extend wifi to my garden, using BT whole home wifi, so I can control sonos from my patio.

Current setup:
BT homehub 5
--- wired connection to sonos boost
--- play 1, play 5, connect amp
I don't know if this uses SonosNet, but I assume so. Everything works fine, but my wifi doesn't reach my patio.

If I add BT Whole home wifi, and use that wifi network to try and control sonos, will it work? The BT whole home wifi is a wired connection to the homehub5 router, then it has two other wireless discs/extenders. I am competent enough to turn off the wifi on the homehub5, so then I will only have one wifi network in my house. But I have seen people mention the problem comes if both wifi networks use their own DCHP server, which is beyond my knowledge. Thank you for any advice.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

People are using mesh networking wifi like this successfully with Sonos. But your Sonos units will be connecting over SonosNet as you have a wired component. Is the problem that the speakers won't work on the patio, or just that your controller won't connect? If the latter, a cheaper option would be an Amazon Fire tablet, as the Android app is capable of connecting to SonosNet. Unless you have an Android controller already?
And i think you should be able to turn off the DHCP on either main router or whole home. I think it is recommended to leave main router as DHCP but you could check that.
The BT Whole Home doesn't contain a NAT or DHCP. It's just a WiFi mesh, working in conjunction with an existing router.