Bring back http://:1400/reboot

• 15 January 2019
  • 41 replies

Userlevel 2
For all that is holy, bring back the ability to reboot a Sonos device via a web browser.

Left stereo paired Sonos Play:1 plays sound.
Right stereo paired Sonos Play:1 is silent.

The only thing that fixed the right stereo paired Sonos Play:1 was to power cycle the Sonos Connect.
Shouldn't need to schlep across the house to unplug a power cable, and spend an eternity trying to plug it back in, when the device is already connected to the network.

Let me reboot it from my computer.
Let me reboot it from my tablet.

Do I really need to buy a WeMo outlet to accomplish this?

Setup...
Router -> (ethernet) Sonos Connect -> (SonosNet) 2 - Sonos Play:1s (stereo paired)

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

41 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +14
Don't you rather want to avoid rebooting at all? Seems like the wrong solution to the problem. Most of the times, these kind of problems exist because of wireless interference.

One troubleshooting approach worth trying (to rule out other causes) would be to plug an ethernet cable between the two play:1s and run it for a while to see if this problem goes away. Then you should get back to Sonos Support and explain the problem, see if they can give you some pointers (or if the right Play:1 is actually faulty).

When you power cycle the Connect, you effectively cut the wireless link to both Play:1s, and the renegotiation of the link seems to be what brings it back to life. Or, you are forcing the right play:1 to connect to the left:1 directly.

I would also consider swapping place of the two speakers, to see if you get a different problem in that case (both going silent perhaps). This means, also unpairing them and re-pair them with opposite channels (R becoming L, and L becoming R)
When wireless, the Right unit should be getting its audio stream directly from the Left unit via direct routing. Running a cable between the Play:1 pair could actually worsen things, unless the radio ('WiFi') is disabled in the Right unit.
+1 This is so annoying. Every time I update my access points all the Sonos devices latch on to the first AP that comes up, even if the signal strength is awful. Then they refuse to move to a nearer AP, even if I kick them off the network briefly. The only thing that would get them to notice a nearer AP was reboot and now I get a 403 trying to do that and so I have to physically unplug them.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Radojevic Have you assigned static/reserved IP addresses to all of your Sonos devices? No clue why but it seems to stop a lot of these random silly issues. I'm betting Sonos is not bringing back reboot, instead they will further reduce our access to internal data until there is nothing left. Gotta be secure you know...

finsprings Get a Boost or wire one or more of your existing Sonos devices and move your Sonos off your home WiFi. I am so much happier now that I've done that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
When wireless, the Right unit should be getting its audio stream directly from the Left unit via direct routing. Running a cable between the Play:1 pair could actually worsen things, unless the radio ('WiFi') is disabled in the Right unit.

I don't see how that would be possible, if this direct routing is in effect it would choose the cable over a wireless link, since it would have a fixed path cost of 10.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14
+1 This is so annoying. Every time I update my access points all the Sonos devices latch on to the first AP that comes up, even if the signal strength is awful. Then they refuse to move to a nearer AP, even if I kick them off the network briefly. The only thing that would get them to notice a nearer AP was reboot and now I get a 403 trying to do that and so I have to physically unplug them.

If some of your access points are unavailable, of course they are gonna connect to the one available. If they still have decent signal, they won't roam to another unit. Maybe the Sonos unit could have more aggressive roaming, and maybe you should raise that issue with sonos, it is a possible scenario that becomes more and more common with all the new wifi mesh solutions coming up.

Some access points have the possibility to de-associate units, which makes them disconnect. That would make them re-evaluate which is the strongest AP and do the same thing as the reboot, probably. But you might also wanna adjust the signal strength of your access points to better balance unit onto the right AP, and not run all of them on full power.

I don't see how that would be possible, if this direct routing is in effect it would choose the cable over a wireless link, since it would have a fixed path cost of 10.

Cabling between units in this way appears to defeat the Direct Routing algorithm which, remember, is designed to be a wireless shortcut between branches of the spanning tree. Under such circumstances the system reverts to the STP topology. If the root path costs of the two units differs by less than 10 the wire won't be used, and the traffic has to take a long trip via a more distant node.
Userlevel 4
Badge +14

Cabling between units in this way appears to defeat the Direct Routing algorithm which, remember, is designed to be a wireless shortcut between branches of the spanning tree. Under such circumstances the system reverts to the STP topology. If the root path costs of the two units differs by less than 10 the wire won't be used, and the traffic has to take a long trip via a more distant node.

That sounds completely broken, tbh. Couldn't have been intentional, and sounds like a massive bug.
If wireless root path costs of two nodes are very similar, it won't be cheaper to use the wire between them so it'll remain blocked. Straightforward STP.

Direct Routing is laid on top of the STP topology and is designed to allow audio streams to jump between wireless 'leaf' nodes without taking a circuitous route round the spanning tree. Cabling between wireless nodes in a group/bond is therefore unnecessary, and in fact is now deprecated by Sonos. A possible exception case is where one of the two nodes is badly placed in terms of wireless conditions, in which case it makes sense to disable its radio.
Userlevel 2
We all know that these Sonos speakers are actually Linux-based computers with a fancy sound system attached. Computers sometimes need to be rebooted. They aren't perfect and Sonos is no different. How many times do you reboot your iPhone just because it was acting weird and the problem went away? Pretending that everything is always perfect and always "just works" is delusional. What would be nice (and Sonos will never do this because they think they are the cosmic gift to audio) is an "advanced" interface in the controller app that would let you reboot your system. You can make it secure...make me log in with my credentials if need be. I have 24 speakers, all with statically assigned addresses via my business class Sophos firewall/WiFi system. Some of my Connect:AMPs are installed in places where I need a ladder to access the power. I curse Sonos every time I have to now break out the ladder, or climb in the attic. Stop making the products dumber and dumber. We're not all disaffected consumers with a couple of speakers and a smartphone!
Userlevel 1
Badge
For a number of reasons the reboot option should be brought back. Hunting around behind units, ceiling spaces etc to power cycle a device is rather silly.

Worryingly on a recent tech support call, the very friendly and competent chap helping me rebooted all my devices remotely...
While this is not available on demand, a firmware update reboots the units.

I'm annoyed by the removal of this option and the views of diagnostic data, however, I will point out that I don't reboot my units from one year to the next -- unless there is a major change in the network. If the network has collapsed to the point where I can't contact a player, having the option to reboot the player from the network is not helpful.
Badge
+1 - Please offer the possibility to reboot a specific speaker from the App
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Good discussion, and thanks for asking everyone. I'll make sure that your feedback gets passed on up. In part, this was removed for security reasons, as mentioned before, but something to help reboot things easier may be good for the future.

I would like to add that if you have found your system regularly needs a restart, there may be some underlying issues that our support team can assist with finding on your network which may remove the need for these reboots.
Badge
Thank you Ryan,

I have 3 'Connect', 3 'Play:3' , 5 'Play:1' and a Boost.

In my area, we have a lot of micro power outages, and each time this happen, it take quite a long time ( days ) for the mesh network to find the 'best path'. During that time. I experience cuts in audio, etc ..

Over time, I learned the best 'boot' sequence for each devices, and it was easy to restart each device in the right order. But now, it I have to go to each device and unplug/re-plug ... which is somewhat a pain ( Ok - yes I am lazy )
The reboot option was really useful for me.
P_S,

Micro outages are a big pain because some items might go down and reboot, while others might continue, but dazed and confused. Do you have a UPS (Uninteruptable Power Supply) available for the router? Including BOOST on this would probably be helpful too. At least reserve IP addresses for all regular network clients.
Badge
Hi Buzz,

You have a good point!
Yes, my cable modem and router are on a UPS as I have a VoIP phone line on that. Also every devices I have is ( Sonos and others ) have an assigned IP

I will try to get a small UPS for the BOOST.

Thank you for the suggestion.
Userlevel 2
For Ryan S: I'd like to add my voice to the requests for a reinstatement of the remote reboot feature in some form. Although not a particularly regular requirement (i.e. there is no underlying issue with my system), on the occasions that my loft-based devices feeding ceiling speakers do need rebooting, I am rather stuck. I have a disability (spinal issues) that make climbing a ladder not as straightforward as it would be for some and since the removal of the remote reboot feature I have regularly had to accept zones in my house simply not working.
grumbllll My Sonos runs rock solid, but need to reboot now due to new network setup .... Just found out they removed the URL reboot... NOT HAPPY..... Many speakers and not all easy accessible to poweroff / on.. This is really annoying..
Userlevel 2
Radojevic Have you assigned static/reserved IP addresses to all of your Sonos devices?
I have, indeed.
Still need to occasionally reboot a Sonos device... by powering it off, and back on.
Working around the lack of remote reboot capability by using a WeMo. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Don't you rather want to avoid rebooting at all?
Of course!
However, the issues are infrequent, and not reproducible at will.
It's just a pain to need to power a device off, and back on, when it doesn't have a power button, nor remote reboot capabilities.
Userlevel 1
Hey guys,

thanks for the great interaction in this discussion. I feel the same like most of the advanced user at the moment.

My Situation: I live in a house with 4 Levels and Sonos is spreed everywhere in ever rooms. Why ever the last update crashed a little bit my setup and it changed my root birdge. The RB was a wired boost direct plugged to the fritzbox, but now its in a secondary node and my BEAM in the living room (wirless) is set now as the RB :-(

Usually such things can happen (should not), but with few IP commandos quit fixed again.
1. [IP-ADDRESS] BOOST:1400/advconfig
2. [IP-ADDRESS] BOOST:1400/reboot
3. DONE!!!!

But the POINT 2 is no longer supported to change the RB back again easily !!! Pretty sporty in a house with 4 Levels!!!

MY HONEST REQUEST:
Please please insert that function in the controller(e.g. advanced setting) and also via the ip-commando like before. The possiblity to restart all devices with a one-click would be awsome

SORRY FOR MY FRANK WORD:
I KNOW SONOS HAS CHANGED THEIR TARGET GROUPE WITH FOCUS ON BASIC USER. BUT WITH SUCH SMALL CHANGES THE ADVANCED SONOS-USER GET BOGGED.

MY SUGGESTION:
FOR SUCH CHANGES ---> SPEAK TO THE YOUR BIG COMMUNITY BEFORE AND SEND OUT SHORT SUVERYS. THERE YOU WILL GET A IMPORTANT VOICE

Greetings
WoHA
Bring back /reboot I hate to crawl throught the house to reboot the 24 sonos devices just because of a new network setup. Stupid.
Userlevel 7
Badge +23
How often does your network screw up?? Maybe you should get a new router or something.
Perhaps @hcq doesn't have screw-ups, and merely wants to make all units re-request the DHCP server. I've done this a number of times when moving a household between subnets.