Answered

Bose 901 Series 2 and the Sonos AMP - How to set it up (EQ)

• 31 May 2020
  • 5 replies

I was thinking of replacing my AMP with the Sonos AMP to get access to all the easy streaming. 

My setup so far is an iPad used for stream via AUX cable to the current AMP, the TV connected and a turntable. 

As the AMP covers all of this the only thing left is the EQ. 

Shouldn’t it be possible to just “manually” set the digital EQ of the Sonos AMP to a level that the Bose would sound like if played through their own EQ? If so does anyone have experience with this? 

I have no Idea how to actually KNOW when my settings “sound right”. Is there some method to this that I can follow? Just using my ears might heavily depend on the song i currently listen to. Maybe that’s also an Idea, some suggestions which songs i should check out (due to high pitches, deep basses, ...) 

I know using the active EQ from the Bose Series 2 is not possible (except if i just use it for the turntable^^) 

I’Ve also got a Magnat Quantum Sub that i plan to connect via wire, I do not think this matters here but just for completion sake :D

icon

Best answer by Anonymous 7 June 2020, 18:39

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Hi Folks, I also have a Bose 901 speaker set with its original (first generation) equalizer connected to the analog input of a SONOS CONNECT:AMP. While the speakers are still in good condition, the sound is not impressive. Moreover the CONECT:AMP is the only S1 device I have left, so I am considering an upgrade to either a Sonos Connect with an Adcom GFA-535 II power amplifier or a Sonos Port. This TechHive review makes me wonder if the upgrade would be worth spending the money. I am also looking for people that have similar experience in using Bose 901 speakers with Sonos gear.

@GoldenMaster Thank you for bring your question to us here and welcome to the Sonos Community. Have you purchased and setup the Sonos Amp? If yes, please confirm how you have your products setup/wired with the Sonos Amp and provide us a diagnostic report number from your Sonos app while playing.

Hi @John G.

The Bose 901 come with an active EQ. This EQ changes the way mid tones are plyaed as the speaker reflect the sound off the wall.

My goal is to achieve the same sound as if I had my active EQ within the setup. For that sake, in some other forum I was told that even if I turn the digital EQ from the Sonos AMP to maximum it will not yield the same effect as the active EQ.  

Hi John,

I have set up the AMP with the Bose 901 and have not included the active EQ from the Bose System. 
I also added a Magnat Subwoofer via the SUB-Port

My diagnostic report confirmation number is: 362664744.

I have followed some guidance from a different forum where I was suggested to crank every setting of the AMP’s EQ to maximum, so that is what I’m currently using.

Best regards

@GoldenMaster Thank you for the follow up information and the diagnostic report number. I understand that you setup the Sonos app with wired Bose speakers and a third party Sub, but what is it that you are trying to do or achieve in your setup? Was the other forum a Sonos forum that you were referencing and what is connected in the line-in on the Amp? I am not sure why you have max out your settings unless that is how you prefer it.