Best setup for a CD Transport with Sonos Five

• 24 July 2022
  • 5 replies

Hello, I have a CD transport that I want to connect to a Sonos Five.

From what I understand I will need a DAC between the CD transport and the Five, right?

Or could I just connect the CD transport to a Sonos Port, and stream it to the Five?

I’m also afraid to loose some sound quality but using the line-in on the Five.

Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Just do what is convenient and with what equipment is at hand - sound quality issues are as close to inaudible via different routes as to not matter.

Remember that using CDs is now obsolete - Sonos offers a better way using wireless NAS. And even that has been largely obsoleted by streaming services.

So don’t spend too much to get an obsolete route to playing digital music to work - is what I am trying to convey.

From what I understand I will need a DAC between the CD transport and the Five, right?

If your transport has no built-in DAC then you’d need to add one. 

Or could I just connect the CD transport to a Sonos Port, and stream it to the Five?

The S/PDIF coax on the Port is an output. The inputs on Port are analog.

Remember that using CDs is now obsolete - Sonos offers a better way using wireless NAS. And even that has been largely obsoleted by streaming services.

So don’t spend too much to get an obsolete route to playing digital music to work - is what I am trying to convey.

Actually CDs are having a resurgence right now, and there are new players and transports available that have much better sound than the ones available a few years ago.

Also, I like collecting them and having something tangible in my hands (like the artwork, booklet, etc) improves my listening experience.

If your transport has no built-in DAC then you’d need to add one. 

The S/PDIF coax on the Port is an output. The inputs on Port are analog.

The transport doesn’t have a DAC, I will have an external one.

Thanks for the clarification regarding the Port.