Answered

Beam + Amp + 2x One SL .. cant connect all of them?

• 27 March 2021
  • 4 replies

I’ve upgraded my AMP system with a beam and 2 ONE SL to upgrade to surround sound for my TV setup. 

However after playing around with the App for hours, best I can do is adding the SL’s to either the Beam or the AMP as surround.

Although I wanted to add them all to the same room, instead of grouping them together I now have multiple rooms with the same name. Maybe I simply can’t find the right option within the App but I feel stuck. 

So my current setup with in the App is: Beam + 2 SL’s in surround mode, AMP in a system with the same room name. I want to have sound from all of them when turning on my TV, what do I do? :D

icon

Best answer by John B 27 March 2021, 12:38

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

4 replies

Thank you John, but overall that is sad news for me :( I’ve read somewhere that I can use this combined, I guess here on the sonos community, by making the sound bar a “phantom center speaker”. If I had known that I can not use my AMP as front speakers within my audio setup I would have gotten the Arc instead of the Beam.

You can use the Amp as front speakers - see my option 3.  As @106rallye says, it still covers the three front channels, creating a ‘phantom’ centre.

Userlevel 7
Badge +17

You must have remembered it wrong. The “phantom center” is what the Amp creates to make it seem like you have a center speaker when in fact the Amp only drives two speakers (hence "phantom’- it is not a real speaker).

Thank you John, but overall that is sad news for me :( I’ve read somewhere that I can use this combined, I guess here on the sonos community, by making the sound bar a “phantom center speaker”. If I had known that I can not use my AMP as front speakers within my audio setup I would have gotten the Arc instead of the Beam.

You can have the following combinations

1 The Beam as your front channels with the One SLs for the rears, and your Amp and passive speakers in a different Sonos ‘room’, i.e. not part of the surround setup

2 The Beam for the front channels, the Amp and passive speakers as surrounds, and the One SLs not as part of your surround setup

3 The Amp + passive speakers at the front, One SLs as surrounds and the Beam redundant.

You cannot use all your speakers in a surround setup.

Also, you need the speaker(s) that don’t fit into your surround system to have a different room name from the surround setup - having the same name only creates confusion.

You can group other speakers with your surround setup, but they won’t sync perfectly for TV sound (they will do so for music).