Answered

Bandwidth Limit Before Audio Drop Out: Number of Speakers?

• 22 May 2018
  • 1 reply

I am experiencing intermittent audio drop out when I use the "Line In" on my Connect as a source. In the Sonos app audio compression is set to "Uncompressed". I do not have drop out when using streaming services like Pandora. I have a DJ Mixer hooked up to the Connect input which is most likely comparable to a WAVE audio signal. I understand from other posts that this drop out is most likely caused because the audio signal being broadcast by Sonos is exceeding the maximum bandwidth that Sonos speakers can support.

I tested this by switching the compression setting in the Sonos app from "Uncompressed" to "Compressed". The drop out went away but the audio quality was disappointing compared to the previous "Uncompressed" quality setting.

My question is this, will removing some of the Sonos speakers from the Group using the Line In as a source help reduce the bandwidth demands which is causing the audio drop out or does the number / type of speakers in the Group make no difference on bandwidth demands?

My Sonos System as whole looks like this:

GROUP 1
Room 1 - Sonos One
Room 2 - Sonos One
Room 3 - Play 1
Room 4 - Play 1
Room 5 - Play 3
Room 6 - Play 3
Room 7 - Stereo Pair, 2 Play 1
Connect - Stereo Pair, JBL Studio Monitors + JBL Sub Woofer

Diagnostic info sent, confirmation #1714925635.

Best,

Justin
icon

Best answer by Keith N 31 May 2018, 23:58

Hey there, justin714. I have a very similar set up at home and have pushed it to the limits. That being said, reducing the size of the group you are "broadcasting" to should net you a more stable connection. I have my computer plugged into my Connect which feeds my Mixer and the rest of Sonos and I've found that using the "Auto" setting to work the best for me.

Additionally, it would be ideal to plug the Connect into the network using an Ethernet cable. This will bring the source of the signal as close to the network to reduce the impact of interference.

Also, you may want to think about grouping from the Connect to the other rooms to ensure that the source of the signal is responsible for feeding the rest of the group, instead of needlessly bouncing the signal around the wireless environment.

Let me know how this works out for you.
View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
Hey there, justin714. I have a very similar set up at home and have pushed it to the limits. That being said, reducing the size of the group you are "broadcasting" to should net you a more stable connection. I have my computer plugged into my Connect which feeds my Mixer and the rest of Sonos and I've found that using the "Auto" setting to work the best for me.

Additionally, it would be ideal to plug the Connect into the network using an Ethernet cable. This will bring the source of the signal as close to the network to reduce the impact of interference.

Also, you may want to think about grouping from the Connect to the other rooms to ensure that the source of the signal is responsible for feeding the rest of the group, instead of needlessly bouncing the signal around the wireless environment.

Let me know how this works out for you.