Question

AV Receiver HDMI (ARC) out to Beam or Arc?

• 10 June 2020
  • 7 replies

Badge

I’m a long time Playbar and Playbase user, but now I’m moving to the Arc, which means I’m moving away from optical cables.

Unfortunately, I have an LG OLED, and as many know, this means I have to bypass my TV’s ARC because LGs have a problem processing DD from certain devices (like Xbox and Playstation) without considerable lag. 

Bypassing this with optical is easy because I can just use a HDMI hub/switch that converts to optical.  That’s no longer an option, since optical can’t handle Atmos.

To make matters worse, standard HDMI splitters do not work with the Beam or Arc because they require a signal specifically from ARC, and no splitters in the market can take regular HDMI, extract and turn into ARC.

So...this has led to me considering buying an AV receiver, plugging my inputs in there and using the AV’s HDMI ARC out to the Beam.  Has anyone had any success with this type of setup?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Badge +20

If you use the AV receivers HDMI ARC out to the Sonos Arc it should work but you need the HDMI ARC out to the TV otherwise there will be no picture. I have see dual HDMI outs but the cost is a factor.

Also if buying a receiveryou may as well buy some speakers for it and not bother with Sonos.

Badge

If you use the AV receivers HDMI ARC out to the Sonos Arc it should work but you need the HDMI ARC out to the TV otherwise there will be no picture. I have see dual HDMI outs but the cost is a factor.

Also if buying a receiveryou may as well buy some speakers for it and not bother with Sonos.

I’m already heavily invested in Sonos and have no problems with it (3 different rooms, two with 5.1 setups).  It’s this LG TV that has pissed me off (I’ll never buy another one).

Thanks for your comment.  Yes, the video signal is going to be split and wired to the TV separately. 

This will absolutely NOT work.    The ARC port on an AV receiver does not generate an an ARC signal, it receives an ARC signal from the TV so that it can play audio the TV sends it....the same way the Sonos Arc does.  

There currently isn’t a device, outside of a TV, that can will send  DD+, and thus Atmos format audio, through ARC channels.  The community is hopeful that such a device gets created, but it may be a while.

Badge

This will absolutely NOT work.    The ARC port on an AV receiver does not generate an an ARC signal, it receives an ARC signal from the TV so that it can play audio the TV sends it....the same way the Sonos Arc does.  

There currently isn’t a device, outside of a TV, that can will send  DD+, and thus Atmos format audio, through ARC channels.  The community is hopeful that such a device gets created, but it may be a while.

So infuriating.  This is literally becoming a “have to buy a new TV” situation.  My Xbox and PS4 have 1+ seconds of lag when using DD through ARC on my LG B7 OLED, and I can think of no workaround.

Userlevel 1
Badge

So infuriating.  This is literally becoming a “have to buy a new TV” situation.  My Xbox and PS4 have 1+ seconds of lag when using DD through ARC on my LG B7 OLED, and I can think of no workaround.

I share your frustration. I also have LG B7 OLED and Sonos 5.1 setup using Playbar. I have a HDMI extractor so that Playbar gets optical output directly from Fire 4K TV (rather than via LG TV), because if I connect Playbar to LG TV, there’s an audio delay. I am thinking of upgrading to Sonos Arc, but if there’s no way to connect Fire TV directly to Sonos Arc to get DD+ (hence Atmos), I probably won’t bother upgrading.

Badge

I also have a B7 OLED.

I’ve been all around the net...there’s no alternative. My Arc arrived today, and I can confirm it must have an Arc signal. Extractors don’t work.

My Apple TV works with almost no lag regular DD, but with Atmos content it has TINY lag. Acceptable level. 

for my Xbox and PS4, still has considerable lag, which for gaming is just totally unacceptable. 

This puts me in a situation in which I’m fine for TV viewing, but screwed for Atmos gaming. Luckily, very few games support Atmos this generation, so I am simply manually plugging the Arc into an optical switch whenever I’m gaming. 

My last hope is that when the PS5 and Xbox Series X are released later this year, that they will play better with the B7. If not, new TV time. Never again will I buy a LG. 

Userlevel 1

There is no solution currently on the market. HD Fury is currently looking in to it and this is from the email I got from them today:

yes we already made it work in our labs, later today we will show proof of concept video on our discord server > channel: straight from the labs.

Feeding Sonos with Atmos from ATV4K