Question

Automatically start music or radio

• 21 August 2020
  • 3 replies

Is it possible to set up the system to automatically play some music or radio station when Sonos starts?  I have set to play automatically as part of my security system. But if the queue is empty, nothing will play.  Thanks

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @jhmosow, thank you for reaching out and getting our attention to this.

The way that Sonos auto-plays a audio source are as follows: Autoplay on Home Theater speakers when the TV audio is received, Autoplay on Line-in audio source for the Sonos Amp, Sonos Port, Connect:Amp, Connect, Play:5 gen1, gen2, and the Sonos Five. Voice services can also control the Sonos speakers to play.

I would like to know how you manage to control Sonos with your security system? as this is not a functionality that we currently have.

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.

I am trying to play on my Play 5 speakers from my Samsung Smartthings controller.  Is the Sonos queue for the speakers is empty before the Smartthings controller starts the speakers, nothing is played.

Userlevel 4
Badge +12

Hi @jhmosow, thank you for the clarification.

The queue is normally empty; usually, you select a speaker first or group speakers together then select your audio source in the Sonos app.

The Sonos speakers need a command to play something or what to play; either with the Sonos app or with Voice services.

We currently don’t have a way to set a music source for your security system in our Sonos system.

I will, however, tag this as a feature request to integrate the Sonos system with the SmartThings system. 

If you have other concerns, feel free to reach out.