Answered

Arc side projection heavily biased toward closer side wall

• 6 January 2021
  • 5 replies

The layout of my room required that I mount the Sonos ARC 2 feet closer to the adjacent left wall than the right wall. The image between the ARC and the left wall is perfect.  However the image  between the ARC and the right wall is practically nonexistent. I have in wall speakers powered by an AMP for surround.  The problem presents itself regardless of TRUEPLAY and surround level.  It’s a real disappointment that I can’t figure out how to remedy. I’ve been on with Sonos support a couple times but this problem falls outside of their expertise. I would be grateful to anyone who has an idea of how to address this issue. 

icon

Best answer by GuitarSuperstar 6 January 2021, 03:14

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Userlevel 7

Unfortunately you are limited to what you can do because of your room layout and the obvious limitations of using a soundbar to produce multiple channels of audio.

If it makes you feel any better, most people don’t have a perfectly balanced audio setup in their rooms. My Arc is much closer to my left wall too. Even though there is noticeably a stronger left surround effect in my room, I have accepted it for what it is and have still thoroughly enjoyed my audio experience with the Arc.

If the shape of the room is problematic, you might be better off using a Sonos Amp and two floor standers instead and just have 5.0 surround sound (with a fantom center channel). You can at least move the front speakers etc; to provide you ‘perhaps’ with a better balanced/wider soundstage. The issue is, it will cost more to do that and it’s not as convenient as an all-in-one product.

GuitarSuperstar, I appreciate your feedback. I recognize the limitations of this technology, but the reviews have been so off the chart fantastic that the middling performance in my apartment caught me off guard.  That being said, it actually doesn’t make me feel a little better to know that other people have this problem too and they’ve learned to love the ARC anyway

Ken, i am contemplating the change to floor standers, although I will no doubt lose the nicely focused dialogue reproduction of the ARC.  It would sure be nice if SONOS offered a way for one or two AMPs to do an LCR speaker array.  I wonder if anyone has managed to rig something like that. 

GuitarSuperstar, I appreciate your feedback. I recognize the limitations of this technology, but the reviews have been so off the chart fantastic that the middling performance in my apartment caught me off guard.  That being said, it actually doesn’t make me feel a little better to know that other people have this problem too and they’ve learned to love the ARC anyway

Sorry, I meant to say that it actually does make me feel better to know that other ARC owners with this issue have come to love it anyway.