Question

arc custom fit.

• 26 September 2020
  • 3 replies

Mantle sound bar
​​​​​​

i have a customer that bought an Arc Sound bar. They are replacing their previous sonos sound bar. It is set into a solid wood beam. 6” x 12” x 72” wide with a 48” wide cutout in it. I believe the new arc is 45” long. This would leave 1-1/2” on either side of the arc for space. Will the sound work properly coming out the side and bouncing off of the wood that close. if i made the space wider would that be adequate? other considerations were to bore a hole the size of the speaker through the end of the beam so the sound could travel though (12’) the sides. or one other would be to disconnect the speaker at the end of the arc and mount it to the end of the beam. There is a finished speaker cloth grill in front of this when done.

3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +2

I don’t think boring holes would provide enough air space, they are designed to be out in the open, not contained

Mantle sound bar
​​​​​​

i have a customer that bought an Arc Sound bar. They are replacing their previous sonos sound bar. It is set into a solid wood beam. 6” x 12” x 72” wide with a 48” wide cutout in it. I believe the new arc is 45” long. This would leave 1-1/2” on either side of the arc for space. Will the sound work properly coming out the side and bouncing off of the wood that close. if i made the space wider would that be adequate? other considerations were to bore a hole the size of the speaker through the end of the beam so the sound could travel though (12’) the sides. or one other would be to disconnect the speaker at the end of the arc and mount it to the end of the beam. There is a finished speaker cloth grill in front of this when done.

I believe Sonos recommends something like 10 inches of room on the sides, so the existing cut out would not work too well with the Arc. You would need the cut out to be about 65”, leaving only 3.5” of uncut wood on each side...which I would not want as a customer.  I would also not want to do something crazy like making a hole or dismantling the soundbar.

I would like opt to just keep the existing soundbar, switch to another brand, or fill in the cut out somehow and place the Arc on top of the mantle (where it should have gone in the first place).  If need be, I’d consider raising the TV up a couple inches to accommodate.  Another option is to get a TV mount that can pull out and down for a better viewing angle, and create a custom mount for the Arc to be connected to the same mount.