Analogue Source through Sonos Port as Network Audio Stream

• 28 December 2021
  • 9 replies

I have a record player connected to a Sonos Port as an input, so I can listen to the Port as a media source on any Sonos in the house.

However, if possible I would like to also use the Sonos Port as a source on my PC, using VLC for example.

Is there any open network stream on the Port which I might be able to use in this fashion? I’m not sure how the other Sonos devices stream from the Port, but if for example there is an HTTP stream URL I could use, that would be ideal.

TIA

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

9 replies

I think what you’re asking is to be able to play from the Port to the PC via the network. This is not an option. Why not simply wire the Port’s output to your PC’s speakers? 

I think what you’re asking is to be able to play from the Port to the PC via the network. This is not an option. Why not simply wire the Port’s output to your PC’s speakers? 

Exactly that. To be able to play it on the PC or use it as an input for example to convert old records to audio files.

Sadly the PC is upstairs and lacking in a feasible cable route from downstairs.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Get a used Play:5, put that next to the PC, hardware its line-in to the headphone jack on the PC, profit.

Presumably you don’t want to contemplate another Port, for upstairs. Too expensive I’d imagine.

You could of course take the turntable upstairs to the PC when you wanted to digitise vinyl. A risky process though, and tedious to set up a fancy turntable correctly each time.

How about a wireless audio adapter, to send the audio upstairs? Such as the Audioengine W3, which transmits losslessly.

Get a used Play:5, put that next to the PC, hardware its line-in to the headphone jack on the PC, profit.

The OP wants to go the other way: into the PC, not out of it.

Presumably you don’t want to contemplate another Port, for upstairs. Too expensive I’d imagine.

You could of course take the turntable upstairs to the PC when you wanted to digitise vinyl. A risky process though, and tedious to set up a fancy turntable correctly each time.

How about a wireless audio adapter, to send the audio upstairs? Such as the Audioengine W3, which transmits losslessly.

Thanks, yes sadly given the expense of another device, and the risks of moving the turntable around, a third party adapter of some description may be the best solution. Thought it worth asking in case anyone was aware of a handy stream. Thanks for your help!

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Oh whoops, totally got that ass-backwards, my bad.

It is technically possible to get the audio stream from the Port’s line-in as a UPnP source, which Windows will play. But I can’t remember how at the moment.

It is technically possible to get the audio stream from the Port’s line-in as a UPnP source, which Windows will play. But I can’t remember how at the moment.

If that unofficial option is available there’s no guarantee it’ll remain so.  

Oh whoops, totally got that ass-backwards, my bad.

If you have any further knowledge on this, I’d be very keen to hear it! Don’t mind it being unofficial/unsupported, if I can get it working in the interim at least that would be great!