Answered

Amp with two play 5s or a beam

• 11 June 2019
  • 5 replies

I currently have a beam up front with a sub and two play 1s for the rear Chanel’s to create the 5.1 setup. I am looking to clean off my mantle and get rid of the beam and replace it with an amp and two play 5s and use the amp as the brain and the play 5s as my left and right while keeping the subs and the play 1s in the rear. Will the play 5s with the amp as the brains create a good left/right with a phantom center channel?
icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 11 June 2019, 08:34

The Amp only works with conventional unpowered speakers, it won't connect to Play 5s that have no power amp connections.

If you skip the Play 5s and go with a pair of nice conventional speakers it should work quite well. I haven't listened to how well the phantom center channel works so I'd not buy anything until you have chatted with folks that have.
View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21
The Amp only works with conventional unpowered speakers, it won't connect to Play 5s that have no power amp connections.

If you skip the Play 5s and go with a pair of nice conventional speakers it should work quite well. I haven't listened to how well the phantom center channel works so I'd not buy anything until you have chatted with folks that have.
I was trying to have the AMP work as the brains of the home theater like a beam or playbar does. Then pair the Play5's as the left and right only because where the left and right speakers locations are I can't run wires from the AMP to conventional speakers because the wires would be exposed and have to run across a fireplace.
Sonos doesn’t have an option to have separate front left and right Sonos speakers. You can choose a Sonos soundbar, which have left, center and right in a single enclosure (bar), or you can use other speakers connected to the Amp, and lose the physical center speaker for a “phantom” one. But there’s no solution for Dolby Digital interpretation with disparate Sonos speakers in front.
What are the results of the "Phantom" center speaker does it sound better with the play 5's doing the phantom center or a beam by itself?
You can’t set up PLAY:5s in any configuration to get them to create a “phantom” center channel.