Question

amp with 2 speakers an play:5 in stereo mode in one room?

• 14 July 2020
  • 5 replies

Hi,

My living room has space for 2 speakers on one wall (plus a Sub), I’d like to put ONE Play:5 on the opposite wall (there is no space nor sense to put a stereo pair on this wall).

Can I reasonably pair Amp as a stereo source with Play:5 on the opposite wall, also in stereo mode?

thanks, Piotr

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

5 replies

Not 100% sure I understand, but you can only stereo pair like speakers. So, two PLAY:5s, or the two speakers connected to the Amp. You can not stereo pair a single PLAY:5 with a single (or pair) speaker connected to an Amp. You can, however, group the two rooms.

Thanks for making me clarify the issue, which actually may be more of a sound engineering issue than just Sonos setup:

As in this sketch:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TogAU56lp5sZBK_pCmDz4CHDWFhiEvei

I have a living room where the life concentrates more on the side of actual Amp speakers (red), but there is no fixed “listening couch” position, so I wanted to fill the room with sound more uniformly. Now the questions are:

1. if the room were an empty rectangle, would it make sense to make a second stereo pair on the opposite wall, which would kinda correspond to what used to be called “quadrophonic” setup? 
  2. if (1.), then how do I pair two stereo Sonos items (whatever that would be — amp + stereo pair of play, or 2 pairs of separate Play) to synchronize correctly — should I treat the two parts of the room as two separate rooms that play simultaneously? That does not sound optimal.
  3. and the last easy question now relates to putting on the opposite wall one Play:5 instead of another stereo pair :-)

Thank you for your remarks and thank you in advance for your patience and pointing me to a good solution

Piotr

Since you can’t have more that two speakers in a ‘room’ in the Sonos software (other than home theater rooms), you’d end up having peg two rooms in that drawing anyway, whether you went with a single Five or a pair of Sonos speaker in the blue area. You’d just use the Sonos software to group the two rooms together, and all speakers would play in sync. 

So actually, 2 is your best choice, and would actually sound good. 

Thanks for the answer; to summarize, one cannot have more than one stereo pair in one room (except for some surround setups), so the only way to put more than 2 speakers in on room is to treat each stereo pair as separate “room”, and then pair the rooms.

I guess that in such case one should swap the left/right speakers in one of the pairs, so that left comes in front of left — or should the other left be on the opposite side of the other wall (on the diagonal)?

Yes, your summary is correct. We’re talking about Sonos software ‘rooms’, not physical rooms, of course. 

As to the diagonal question, I don’t know or have an opinion. Given the ease of testing with a Sonos system, why not try both ways, and see which you prefer? I honestly think the answer depends on the individual use case, where people are standing/sitting/moving, but there’s no better judge than your own ears.