Question

AMP + TV + 4 Ceiling Speakers

• 20 May 2020
  • 1 reply

Hello -

I have 4 ceiling speakers that I’d like to be able to listen to music from my phone and connect to my TV (surround sound is a plus). I also have a pair of outdoor speaks that I’d like to have the option to listen too when I’m not using the 4 ceiling speakers. Do I need two AMPs for this configuration? Kind of new to this, so I’d greatly appreciate some guidance before purchasing.

Thank you in advance!!

George

1 reply

Userlevel 7

Hi @gweast 

Four In-Ceiling Speakers

Using a Sonos Amp they can be bonded to a Sonos Arc (release date 6/10/20), Beam, Playbar or Playbase (connected to your TV) and used as surrounds for movies and full on speakers for music (automactically) by configuring them in the Sonos app. However, if used as surrounds I imagine two of the four are toward the front of the room close to the the TV. The surround effect may sound slightly off with the two front in-ceiling speakers near the front...then again it may not. :thinking: It’s just that surround speakers when in the ceiling are meant to be directly over the seating area or slightly behind.

Outdoor Speakers

Would require a second Sonos amp. They can play independent of other Sonos speakers or be grouped to play in sync (same music) with other Sonos.

I hope this helps. Cheers!