Amazon Echo

• 6 November 2014
  • 85 replies

Show first post
This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

85 replies

I have a Play:1 in the kitchen. All I have to do is press a button on top, and starts playing instantly. A very large playlist of quality music is always at the ready. One more tap, and it stops playing. What could be simpler than that?
Userlevel 1
So I have 8 sonos speakers and love it but I have to tell you that I recently acquired an echo for my kitchen and placed it right next to play 5. I'm finding I use the echo more than the sonos as I don't have to locate my iPhone or iPad to select some music. All my iTunes library 3500 songs have been exported to Amazon music. All I have to do is so Alexa play, and she does. I was considering the sonos sound bar but I really think sonos is missing the boat here. They really have not innovated except for some new speakers but are missing the market on voice activation and a gal Friday type of interface. IMHO.
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Disclaimer: I like my Sonos stuff. A lot.

Utter nonsense.

1. Patents are not equal to "innovation". Not at all.

2. Many Sonos patents are years, almost a decade old. Of course they patented their "main innovation" (at that time): multiroom wifi audio (and some stuff around that). Some other patents are for discontinued products, so the relevant number of patents is way smaller.

3. I wrote "never on the frontline of innovation", meaning they do not / want not to / cannot (re)act quickly when new developments come along. They might be cautious to what innovation takes off and what not as they don't want to "burn" man hours. And that is ok.
BUT: in our fast moving world, tech innovation keeps you in the news. News are good for sales. And existing customers expect adaption to new developments.

As far as Amazon Echo is concerned, I am rather pessimistic that it will really take off, therefore Sonos support might not be necessary. Other fields (e.g. wearables, IFTTT) are way more promising. Heck, even Alaska Airlines can do an Apple watch app in time. Why can't Sonos?

That is what I mean with "never on the frontline of innovation". Guests who are always late to a party won't be invited forever...

I don't even want to start talking about https://ask.sonos.com/sonos?topic_list%5Bsettings%5D%5Btype%5D=idea . 3199 ideas and 45 implemented (most of which are added services)? Why do they even have that page?
Sonos is never on the frontline of innovation.
Utter nonsense.

more than 200 patent filings
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Sonos is never on the frontline of innovation. Get used to it.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Amazon Echo now supports IFTTT.

Sonos?
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Just received an email from Amazon.com that contained this:

WeMo and Philips Hue products now work with Amazon Echo.

You can now use Echo to switch on the lamp before getting out of bed, turn on the fan or heater while reading in your favorite chair, or dim the lights from the couch to watch a movie—all without lifting a finger...or even raising your voice.

Let's keep our fingers crossed for SONOS support.
Userlevel 2
Badge
I have 5 sonos zones in my home, I'm an amazon prime member so thought "why not" and signed up to get an Echo for $100.. Great the first 5 days, then I mellowed out and understand that it has it's limitations. It's good at a few, it sucks at some also. I dont know if I speak with an accent or am just too softly spoken but I have to repeat myself on occasion. With 7 mic's it should hear me better..on the other hand, with 7-mic's is it hearing 'everything' and feeding the servers and recording, sorting and analyzing my daily goings on back at HQ? (if you are prone to paranoia, it could exacerbate it somewhat)

Must admit that the entire time I was wishing it could be linked with Sonos.

In the meantime the room that has the Echo (office) now exclusively plays my iheart, tune-in radio, and my modest amazon music from the device. It's not a room where I generally 'blast' music from anyway.. Amazon owns audible, I am an audible junkie..the day amazon links audible with Echo...sonos is gonna be in trouble with me.

Echo sucks at using it to find meaningful information. It's okay at basic very general 'stuff'..like wikipedia or google one line search-type stuff and basic math problems.

I suspect that Amazon's primary intent with Echo is information on customers. With Echo, we have gleefully walked into our homes a device that listens to our every word, we just cross our fingers and hope nothing beyond our tolerance is going to develop with this device, it is always connected, it is always listening, it could very easily perpetually record...easily.. if it isnt doing that already. That's my paranoid side talking.

As it stands its awesome to simply say "alexa, play bbc world service", or "alexa- set alarm for 6pm", or "alexa, stop". It would be awesome and threatening if/when Amazon starts connecting it to other music services beyond the three it has now. Already on Echo I used iHeart radio more than I've ever used it on Sonos. Primarily because most of my owned music is via mp3 or iTunes, and what I bought from Amazon is very small in comparison to my rather vast collection, so when I say "alexa, play Rick James", it's not in my amazon collection and plays it from iHeart OR a useless 30-second sample from Amazon music. have not taken the step and copied my music across to amazons music service where I suspect this issue will go away. Not yet..if ever...I dont know. Echo is new and it to me is plainly a version .8 device.

I think Amazon is using it's deployment as an proactive tool to figure out what else to offer and monetize from it's customer base. I think for the fun and coolness Echo brings to the customer right now, I think it's giving the analytics, marketing and services team back at cyberdyne...oops..I mean Amazon HQ a lot more, and after a time and further information gathering, brainstorming and some guessing, it'll decide further what it will do.

I am likely an ideal owner, I shop from Amazon all the time for both work and home. The only items I dont buy online are lumber and food. If Amazon sold whiskey and ammo, I'd buy them there too.. I am and have been using amazons services and devices since they came live. I live a quarter mile from a major mall, I have not stepped foot in it since 2006...easily. No need to, UPS comes to my front door. Bought all my sonos devices from Amazon.

Curious to see what this Echo will flesh out to be, also listening out to hear if there is any misbehaving in this the age of the surveillance state.

There lingers this potential that this device seems like it should integrate into the Sonos system as well. I have spoken to a few people I know that have a sonos system and each and everyone has said something to that effect. Seem's plain to me that lots of folks are thinking the same thing.

I dont know if it will happen...Amazons 'brain' is a hosted cloud service, Echo is just an endpoint device that sends the data back and forth, all the thinking is done elsewhere. Sonos is essentially a stand alone entertainment system, itself and endpoint to third party hosted services and local resources with an onboard indexing capability tethered to the device. I think a voice interface will be welcome but to use someone elses might involve giving up much development control over the device to other parties with their own separate interests and obligations.

We'll see what the future holds..hopefully Sonos will develop another device that is the voice interface control that knows a number of key commands and can reference the index to play music in our collection. That might be a starting point...and later..the cloud. Think Ford Sync....BUT... a fully debugged and working Ford Sync. (or other system that automobiles come with, I just say ford because that's the one I'm familiar with)
Userlevel 2
I saw an email from Amazon about opening the Echo up to folks who want to develop new applications.

I have a feeling they will put limits on what they might allow (especially regarding competing products), but I'm looking forward to seeing what comes up.
Userlevel 2
As for Sonos adding voice control, that would be great. However, Amazon has an incredible amount of processing power behind the voice recognition in the Echo. I'm not sure Sonos has the resources to provide that.

Why not just integrate with Google Now? Google isn't short on processing power. The voice recognition works great for me.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
No, the Echo does not sound nearly as good as a Play 1.

The Echo's voice recognition is very good though.
Userlevel 2
I don't feel the Echo sounds anywhere near the sound quality of a Play:5. Not even a Play:1 to my ears (but we all hear differently).

It doesn't seem to have nearly as much bass response and the clarity is much superior in the Play devices.
Userlevel 1
Badge
I SERIOUSLY doubt it's even near the quality of a Play 1.
I find the quality very close to a PLAY:5. At a quarter of the price and with all of its other features, this model could be the end of Sonos if they don't react quickly.

Your praise is much higher than this review:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/19/7548059/amazon-echo-review-speaker

To say it could be the end of Sonos.... well, count the threads on here about other "Sonos-killers" that have come and gone!
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
The Echo is nice and I'd really like to have it control my Sonos gear.

I also agree that t's worth $100 but not $200.

As for Sonos adding voice control, that would be great. However, Amazon has an incredible amount of processing power behind the voice recognition in the Echo. I'm not sure Sonos has the resources to provide that.
I am curious how the speakers will sound with music. I have the Fire Tv and the voice commands using the remote are VERY handy when compared to always having to type. Would love to have it control Sonos but for $99, I can see having one in the kitchen (weather, lists, music, etc) and bedroom (alarm, light music, lists, weather, etc)
I find the quality very close to a PLAY:5. At a quarter of the price and with all of its other features, this model could be the end of Sonos if they don't react quickly.
I have an Echo and love it. I have 4 zones in my Sonos system, but compare

"Alexa, play Steely Dan"

to:

take out my iPhone. Fire up the Sonos app, Wait a second or two for it to find my components. Maybe there's a software update I have to deal with. Search for Steely Dan, select a zone, and hit play.

When the phone rings, "Alexa Stop" versus the same remote control fumbling.

Sonos should seriously add voice control. I'm not especially expecting them to integrate with Echo. I doubt Amazon has an open API to do so. But if Sonos isn't careful, Echo or the inevitable imitators will steal your customer base. The $99 intro special attracted me, and the sound quality of this bluetooth speaker makes it worth it by itself. Add the voice commands, and it's become my favorite tech purchase of the past few years.

At each Sonos zone (until you build it into future models), add a voice command component that connects to the ethernet port. I'd rather not pay $99 per zone, but I'd probably pop for $49 and would definitely go for all 4 zones for $100. I don't need the AI search components of Echo (although that'd be nice), but to be able to simply say "SONOS, play some Leo Kotke in the kitchen" would be a winner.
Userlevel 2
I got an Echo and I have to say that I am totally digging it. If it could be used to control SONOS I would be ecstatic!

The voice control for music is great. Pause, Play, Stop, Next Track, Volume up. All without having to pick anything up. It's a savior in the kitchen (which is where we have it). I can ask it cooking questions (measurements and such). My daughter (who has special needs) uses it to help with homework: basic arithmetic and spelling, as well as some geography.

I have a HUGE library that I have uploaded to Amazon. The voice recognition still needs work. If there's an album/song/artist with the same name (Talk Talk being one...) then it isn't quite sure what you want to hear. The sound isn't nearly as good as SONOS players (I have two 5s, two 3s and 1) but it's not awful either. For radio it's pretty decent.

Paying $100 was a good deal. Not sure I'd pay $200 for it (which I believe will be the actual price). But if it could control my SONOS system....
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
The Play1 has no microphone (and I don't want one!!), so that will not work.
Userlevel 1
Sonos should just integrate the likes of Google Now, or Siri (Apple depending) into the Play 1.

I can just imagine walking into my kitchen to make breakfast in the morning to ask what my daily schedule is, then followed by reading my emails, then listening to some tunes from Play Music.

Just partner up already and be done with it.
Userlevel 4
Badge +8
The Verge has reviewed Amazon Echo here:
http://www.theverge.com/2015/1/19/7548059/amazon-echo-review-speaker
Userlevel 2
Badge
Just got one of these for a laugh(we use Amazon a lot for home and business). Doesn't seem to be much more than a standalone Siri. For now, musically, it is limited to Amazon Music and iHeart radio plus your music library. It reads the news which is something I would use and tells you the weather.

Music quality is very average. A Play 1 blows it away.

I'm hoping they will add one of the 'on demand' music services like Rhapsody or Beats so that you can play the tracks you like rather than a radio station.

It would be way cool to control Sonos by voice though. Sonos should seriously look at an add on that would work like Echo to control the system.

Amazon promises updates. I'll let y'all know.
We make purchases from Amazon roughly an average of 2x a month. We're also Prime members.

I see no need for this product, especially since I'm already a happy Sonos customer.
My guess is that the expected sales-angle is to sell more music, not other stuff... (All music you've ever bought on Amazon on CD or otherwise is already available to you to stream.) It's not a bad idea, and personally, I'd love to be able to control my Sonos verbally (reliably).
Userlevel 2
I am curious how the speakers will sound with music. I have the Fire Tv and the voice commands using the remote are VERY handy when compared to always having to type. Would love to have it control Sonos but for $99, I can see having one in the kitchen (weather, lists, music, etc) and bedroom (alarm, light music, lists, weather, etc)