Answered

airplay 2

Can you airplay from Apple TV 4K to Sonos arc and send Dolby Atmos signal from Apple TV 4K to Sonos Arc?

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 15 June 2020, 03:55

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

21 replies

No. When sending an AirPlay 2 signal to a non-Apple device, Apple restricts it to stereo.

I have it hooked up now and used Apple to 4K to send audio to Sonos, your wrong I know because I disconnected the HDMI cable connected to Sonos Arc that was connected to the HDMI Arc port

After double checking you were right but why would it be restricted if Apple and Sonos have some sort of partner

You’d need to ask Apple, I have no idea. 

Thanks for your reply, I am kinda pissed that tv’s don’t allow for pass through or that Sonos didn’t provide two HDMI ports so that the audio could used and then pass the video to the tv

Badge

I was actually able to output an Atmos signal through Airplay directly from my iPad to my Airplay enabled Vizio tv. It seems it’s something of iOS 14. I did my tests using the TV app and playing Home Before Dark (a Dolby Vision & Atmos apple TV+ title). My vizio indicated it was displaying Dolby Vision and the Sonos app indicated it was outputting Dolby Atmos. I would expect you be able to do so with your apple TV as long as passthrough is enabled on the apple tv, both devices have the latest iOS firmware (iOS 14.2), and your TV is connected to the Sonos Arc through eARC. I was also able to get atmos through airplay from the Disney+ app but no 4k signal, only 1080p with dolby Vision. This leads me to believe it’s a software thing with apps slowly upgrading and expanding the availability. But dolby atmos and vision seems to be possible over airplay since iOS 14. 

When i DID get a Stereo 2.0 signal was if I tried to use the Chromecast feature in either the Disney+ or HBO MAX apps. If I used Airplay, I was able to get Atmos in ALL of the Atmos enabled titles in D+, and Dolby Digital + in HBO MAX titles.

Badge

Hi, I have an Apple TV 4K and old TV with no HDMI ARC/eARC capabilties, i would like to buy Sonos Arc.

If sonos user can confirm if Apple 4K TV can airplay dolby atmos to Arc.i understand IOS 14 added new features.

No, AirPlay 2 to Sonos is stereo only. I don’t believe AirPlay 2 supports extra formats, unless both the sending and receiving device are Apple branded. 

Badge

Hi, 

I had a chat with Apple support after this morningng , Airplay 2 can send Dolby atmos signal to non apple products too. 

Thanks 

Karthik

I will have to test this tonight, but to my knowledge, the rep you spoke to was misinformed.

In some cases, I believe that casting via AirPlay 2 from another Apple device to a Apple TV actually switches the playing of the content from the casting device to actually the Apple TV device, and as such, would send an appropriate signal to the TV set via HDMI.

I’ve not seen any indication anywhere that an AirPlay 2 signal is allowed to send anything more than stereo signals to non-Apple devices. I’m not 100% sure as to whether an Apple device can actually use the necessary bandwidth to send anything more than stereo across wifi to another Apple device. If you have any data via web links to prove me wrong, I’d be fascinated to read them. For now, I’ll chalk it up to a CS rep either not understanding the question, or being flat wrong. Which does happen. Without additional confirmation, I’m often loathe to accept anything that is told to me via phone as the ultimate truth. It could be, I just need additional verification.

Badge

Hi, 

I have a Apple TV 4k and Homepod Pair , the Latest updated in airplay 2 was multiroom support and home theater audio with HomePod. My doubt was if apple 4k can send dolby atmos signal to homepod why not for other airplay 2 speaker.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT207705

Netlflix and disney plus support  Dolby atmos in Apple TV 4k , provided apple 4k tv and homepod pair configured in the same room.

Badge

I totally agree with your point that we need proof, that's why i posted in this community to see if any user actually testing apple 4 k tv airplay with Sonos arc.

Badge

Hi ,

In some cases, I believe that casting via AirPlay 2 from another Apple device to a Apple TV actually switches the playing of the content from the casting device to actually the Apple TV device, and as such, would send an appropriate signal to the TV set via HDMI.”

I am not talking about iphone airplay to Apple TV . Here Apple TV directly connecting to Sonos arc through airplay 2.

Understood.

Certainly a different case, but speaking for myself, I’d much prefer the ARC/eARC solution, with the HDMI cable providing video to the TV, and the ARC providing audio to the Arc.

My wifi bandwidth is already filled with random interference from neighbors and other sources. Trusting the bandwidth necessary to AirPlay 2 an Atmos density signal to the Arc seems like it might be an adventure, if such a thing were allowed.

For what it’s worth, if you’re dealing with a projector or TV without eARC (for Atmos purposes), you may want to look at the HDFury as a potential solution.

While I have a Vizio TV, it’s not smart enough to pass anything beyond Dolby Digital through the HDMI inputs, so I’ve added the HDFury between my sources (including an Apple TV) and the screen, so that I can get Atmos from my sources sent to the Arc.

Badge

what product HDfury are you using.

karthik

Hi, 

I have a Apple TV 4k and Homepod Pair , the Latest updated in airplay 2 was multiroom support and home theater audio with HomePod. My doubt was if apple 4k can send dolby atmos signal to homepod why not for other airplay 2 speaker.

https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT207705

Netlflix and disney plus support  Dolby atmos in Apple TV 4k , provided apple 4k tv and homepod pair configured in the same room.

Perhaps I am greatly under estimating the capabilities of a pair of homepods, but how exactly are they producing atmos audio?  I don’t even really see how they are generating surround sound.

HD Fury Arcana. I’ve heard rumour of other companies with a similar device, but do not know who they are.

And it would be much more helpful if you were to describe your setup, and what particular issue you’re trying to resolve. Everyone is taking a stab in the dark, and answering only your AirPlay 2 question, without being able to understand your intent, and any potential solutions that could be brought to resolve it. 

Badge

i get good immersive sound .home pod is in the big room but still, I get good surround. 

Talking about dobly atmos, i tested with Dolby atmos sample video from vlc playback I would rate 7.5/10. With movies i really don't get sound from top, sometimes i get from back. it all depends upon internet speed as well. 

​​​​​​