Question

Addressing iTunes on a NAS drive

• 20 July 2020
  • 1 reply

I keep my iTune music library on an Apple TimeCapsule which I had previously wired into my modem.  My Sonos was then wired via an Ethernet cable into the TimeCapsule.  I recently installed an Eero network to increase my signal strength down to my dock (I live on a lake).  As part of this re-architecturing of my Home network, I no longer use my TimeCapsule to create my Home wireless network (I now use the Eero network) and moved my TimeCapsule (and the iTune library it contains) which is now wired by an Ethernet cable to my iMac computer.  I have simply mounted the TimeCapsule as a NAS drive on my computer network (following instructions provided in a Mac World article that I found on the internet— https://www.macworld.com/article/3170186/how-to-configure-a-time-capsule-as-an-ethernet-only-storage-device.html.)    My only problem at this point is that Sonos refuses to “find” my iTunes library on the networked drive.  I have tried to use the Sonos setup to define the path to my networked shared drive   When I looked at the path to my TimeCapsule Drive in the Mac’s finder, it is listed as “afp://NewTimeCapsule._afpovertcp._tcp.local/Data/users/jstroebel/Desktop/Music/iTunes/iTunes Media/Music”.  I have read the article on your support page which provides information on addressing a NAS drive via Sonos and have also tried ” //NewTimeCapsule/Data/users/jstroebel/Desktop/Music/iTunes” and other variants.  Each time after searching, the Sonos app tells me that “The computer “NewTimeCapsule” cannot be found.”  What am I doing wrong?  How can Sonos be properly directed to this drive?

1 reply

Userlevel 4
Badge +11

Hi @Poppa John.

Thank you for reaching out to Sonos Community.

That is strange that your not NAS drive unable to communicate with Sonos music library.

I would like to recommend calling our customer phone support on this so you can be assisted with more thorough and in-depth troubleshooting steps as well as a remote diagnostics that can be remotely gathered from your Sonos devices with your permission.

If you need help with any other information, please be sure to let us know.