Adding SONOS to existing surround sound setup through a Marantz NR1504 Receiver - is it possible?

• 16 January 2019
  • 6 replies

We have a Marantz NR1504 receiver that is connected to our cable internet and has a surround sound speaker system we use to play both music (usually Pandora, itunes and occasionally our record player) as well as tv/movies (cable, DVDs, Apple TV). We live in a small(ish) apartment but would like to play music in the kitchen and bedroom as well, and have been thinking about adding wireless speakers to those areas. SONOS is the most recommended, but it is a big investment and we want to make sure we can use it in ADDITION to our current surround sound system? If we entertain, we would like to find a way to seamlessly play music in the whole apartment. It looks like we can use a SONOS Connect, but we'll need to buy a SONOS speaker or two and we aren't sure they will play along with the current speakers.

This is all a bit overwhelming, as there are so many models and audio cable terms we are unfamiliar with. Any suggestions in layman terms are most appreciated.

This is our Marantz NR1504 receiver https://www.us.marantz.com/us/products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=AVReceivers&ProductId=NR1504

Thank you!

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Consider "Airplay 2" which will give you more freedom for different speakers and audio equipment and compatible with most newer Sonos products. Marantz has "Airplay 2" support on some of their receivers but unfortunately not on the older models like the NR1504. I had a NR1508 that played "Airplay 2" along with all my other Sonos equipment.

Could also do Chromecast Audio leveraging Sonos speaker AUX inputs if your more of an Android fan.

In either scenario you would stream music from some mac or android device to all the "Airplay 2" or Chromecast Audio enabled devices bypassing the Sonos app itself to manage what you play.

If you want to keep the Marantz NR1504 and want Airplay 2 another option could be the Airport Express and use AUX or Optical inputs.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Thank you! But to use the SONOS speakers through the CONNECT, I have to hook up the CONNECT through a receiver channel (Media Player, CD, etc) on the Marantz...and presumably select that receiver channel on the Marantz for the music to play through the CONNECT->SONOS speaker(s) - but when on that receiver selection, will the surround sound speakers also play?

Yes, that is how you would do it. The Marantz would receive a stereo signal from the Connect, so it will likely default to only playing out of your front left and right speakers. There is probably a setting on the Marantz to force it to play a stereo signal on the surround channels too. Check the manual.
No idea, that would be defined by your Marantz. I know a lot about Sonos, almost nothing about Marantz.
Thank you! But to use the SONOS speakers through the CONNECT, I have to hook up the CONNECT through a receiver channel (Media Player, CD, etc) on the Marantz...and presumably select that receiver channel on the Marantz for the music to play through the CONNECT->SONOS speaker(s) - but when on that receiver selection, will the surround sound speakers also play?
Yes, a CONNECT is what you might want, along with whatever Sonos speakers you want to have.

There is the issue, though, that might cause you some difficulty. If you're playing music that originates from the Marantz, and is being pushed to the Sonos, then you're going to have a slight delay, as the analog line in takes the data and buffers it for playing across all Sonos devices in sync. So, that means radio, Pandora, iTunes, and your record player all would have a slight delay between the speakers connected to the Marantz and the Sonos speakers.

However, if the source of the music is from Sonos, then you'll already have paid the price for that buffering event, and all speakers, the ones connected to the Marantz and the Sonos speakers will be in sync.

Now, that being said, your radio, Pandora and iTunes can all be played from Sonos and sent to your Marantz. In fact, you could technically also connect your turntable, with a pre-amp, to the input on the CONNECT, and then just push all the music through Sonos to the Marantz, and everything would be in sync. Then you would use the Marantz only for the surround system while watching TV.

The problem is that no manufacturer likes mixed ecosystems. Both are designed to work with their own things, but not with things from other companies.

If it were me, I'd give some consideration to replacing the Marantz and attached speakers with a PLAYBAR, a SUB, and a pair of PLAY:1s, but then we're talking a bunch more money, too.
OP here. I should also add that we do not have Alexa or Google Home and do not need those capabilities when adding speakers.