Question

Add Shared Music Folder Does Not See Windows HTTP Server

• 22 January 2020
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Long-time Sonos user, long-time network admin. So yes, I’m dangerous.

For a variety of reasons (including but not limited to yesterday’s obsolescence news) I’ve split off a Connect:Amp onto its own Sonos setup under wireless (aka generic Wi-Fi) mode. The Connect:Amp and an Android controller are on a separate network from my main Sonos system, so there is no chance of any wires getting crossed.

The Conntect:Amp and Android controller are happy and working great with my streaming music services. So this new setup is clean, thumbs up.

I want the new setup to see my main Music Library hosted on a Windows 10 machine. As we all know, such a library is accessed via the Sonos Library Service (HTTP) as opposed to an SMB share. I configured my router to enable the HTTP traffic.

Except there is no HTTP traffic. When I add a shared music folder on the Android Controller, it assumes that is on an SMB share. I’ve verified the SMB traffic--and no HTTP traffic--in the router logs.

Soooo, how can I convince the Android Controller to discover the Sonos Library Service (HTTP) running on the Windows 10 machine?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

As an aside, the root of this issue has nothing to do with setting up a ‘separate’ Sonos system.

Android and iOS controllers can ONLY add a shared music folder via old-school SMB. The only way to add a Sonos Library Service (HTTP) share is when from the Windows machine itself.

By all means, correct me if I am wrong … Android and iOS controllers cannot add music shared by the purpose-built Sonos Library Service. And THAT is the root of the issue here.

Is file sharing through the firewall configured correctly? … see if this link may assist at all:

https://support.sonos.com/s/article/2401

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ken--

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my router/firewall is configured correctly: watching the logs, I can see the ‘other’ Sonos setup trying to access an SMB share on my Windows machine. All of said traffic is SMB-specific, so it is probing for a NAS (or something that looks like a NAS) … as opposed to HTTP traffic that would show it probing for a Windows machine running the Sonos Library Service.

In summation: Android and iOS controllers can ONLY add SMB shares, not HTTP Sonos Library Service shares.

Ken--

Thanks for the reply. Yes, my router/firewall is configured correctly: watching the logs, I can see the ‘other’ Sonos setup trying to access an SMB share on my Windows machine. All of said traffic is SMB-specific, so it is probing for a NAS (or something that looks like a NAS) … as opposed to HTTP traffic that would show it probing for a Windows machine running the Sonos Library Service.

In summation: Android and iOS controllers can ONLY add SMB shares, not HTTP Sonos Library Service shares.

Not the routers firewall, check your windows firewall.. router firewall is not relevant for local library access.

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ken--

Yes, Windows firewall is all good.

Clarifying … I have two entirely separate networks, their only connection being through the router.

Network 1 includes the Windows 10 machine hosting my music library, as well as all of my ‘modern’ Sonos devices. This is my ‘main’ Sonos system, and it works like a charm.

Network 2 includes the Connect:Amp and Android tablet. This is my “soon obsolete” Sonos system. It plays streaming services AOK, and I am trying to add the music library on my Windows 10 machine that is running the Sonos Library Service.

The router is setup to enable traffic between Network 1 and Network 2. When I try to add the music library, I can see that all of the traffic is SMB, showing that it is only looking for an SMB share. There is zero HTTP traffic, showing that it does not look for a Sonos Library service share.

I take it you know you can, if you want to, enable SMB v1 in “Add Program and Features” in the Windows control panel.. I suspect the two different subnets is the cause of your current difficulty, but smb v1 should work (I think?). Perhaps try it and see how it goes. 

See this link.…

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-access-files-network-devices-using-smbv1-windows-10

Userlevel 2
Badge +3

Ken--

Thanks for the constructive suggestion. I was one of the early users to raise the hazards of SMBv1 here on the board, and I am way to paranoid to enable a Windows feature that (a) has known vulnerabilities and (b) has been deprecated.

I HOPE that this issue will be addressed in the “May 2020 Running Separate Legacy & New” scheme. After all, you can add more than a dozen SMB shares to a single Sonos system … however, adding a Windows 10 (HTTP) share is a very limited “one trick pony”.