A/V Receiver Optical Out to Play Bar??

• 22 March 2013
  • 16 replies

Did anyone try it? will it work?

Sonos suggest to by pass the AV receiver with all components in to TV and Optical out to Play bar.....

I am just trying to de-clutter my living room with the a play bar, sub & play 3 to replace my 5.1 speakers. and of course sync with my other sonos products around the house.

will it works?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

16 replies

Badge
If you can find a receiver with an optical out it should work. That being said, I haven't ever come across one. You just need to verify that the receiver will route the audio signal from any input (HDMI, etc) to the optical output. As long as Sonos gets the signal it will work...doesn't really matter what the true source is. I have everything going through an HDMI switch with optical out which is another alternative if you can't find a receiver that does the job.
If you can find a receiver with an optical out it should work. That being said, I haven't ever come across one. You just need to verify that the receiver will route the audio signal from any input (HDMI, etc) to the optical output. As long as Sonos gets the signal it will work...doesn't really matter what the true source is. I have everything going through an HDMI switch with optical out which is another alternative if you can't find a receiver that does the job.

Most "flagship" or top of line AVR's will have 1 optical output (http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/SC-1522-K) but I haven't seen a low end (sub $400) model have it.

That said, if I own a 9.2 channel AVR, odds are, I'm not looking to pair it to a sound bar ;)

But yes, if you have an AVR with an optical out, I see no reason why the Playbar wouldn't work.
Userlevel 2
warning, HDMI will NOT be passed thru the receivers optical out. No dice. Not on yamahas, anyway.
Userlevel 2
FYI you will need to hook up gear with hdmi for video switching and hook up audio via optical. This is due to the hdmi looking to pass through its audio for dts or another format not supported.

Also you will need to set the digital out on each device so it does not pass dts or anything other than standard 5.1.

I have done one system like this and ran into these issues.

Hope that helps!
Userlevel 2
I have a supposed high end Samsung 8 series TV, with no DD5.1 digital out over optical. It´s a stupid problem, which caused me lot´s of searching and cursing.

Now I have bought myself this product, the Octava HD41ARC HDMI switch. (Search and you will find)

And it solved all my problems, works like a charm.
I can highly recommend it with the Playbar with a system with no optical 5.1 out.

Hope this was helpful.

Cheers
Steffen
Userlevel 2
Does the Octava HD41-ARC support PCM?
I´m searching a solution for getting real 5.1 Sound with the Wii U and my Sonos 5.1 Setup.
Userlevel 2
Does the Octava HD41-ARC support PCM?
I´m searching a solution for getting real 5.1 Sound with the Wii U and my Sonos 5.1 Setup.

Ok, i got the answer myself.
The Octava HD41-ARC does not convert the LPCM/PCM 5.1 stream from the Wii U... So it´s not working.
I have a supposed high end Samsung 8 series TV, with no DD5.1 digital out over optical. It´s a stupid problem, which caused me lot´s of searching and cursing.

Now I have bought myself this product, the Octava HD41ARC HDMI switch. (Search and you will find)

And it solved all my problems, works like a charm.
I can highly recommend it with the Playbar with a system with no optical 5.1 out.

Hope this was helpful.

Cheers
Steffen

Quite surprised you do not get DD5.1 from your Samsung. I have a 2013 - 7 series model which outputs DD5.1 from the optical connection, from HDMI inputs (both a Sky HD box and PS3)
Userlevel 2
according to monoprice customer service, this should do perfect, and supports your LPCM as well!

Product Number: 7974 (i cant post links i guess, just go to monoprice website)
Userlevel 4
Badge +1
Quite surprised you do not get DD5.1 from your Samsung. I have a 2013 - 7 series model which outputs DD5.1 from the optical connection, from HDMI inputs (both a Sky HD box and PS3)

Durb(Steffan),
which model do you have? I have spent LOTS of time trying to get my playbar 5.0 setup working with my Samsung 7000 series. I can only get 5.1 out of the optical on one hdmi connection (cable tv box) but not others. I USED to get it from internal apps - Netflix - too but it appears that Samsung have disabled the 5.1 audio on the Netflix app - it shows as stereo only when netflix info line displayed. I get 5.1 when connecting a Samsung bluray when directly connected.
I've also had problems with audio dropouts when playing the Netflix 5.1 films and even 2.0 shows from the cable tv box I and many others have been working with Sonos for about a year to get these resolved without success for some of us. I'm guessing it's the reason why Netflix won't pass 5.1 even though films are shown in the catalogue as being Hd & 5.1 etc.

Can I ask you what version of Netflix you are using, what model TVs, what is shown when you watch an Hd/5.1 film when you press 'info' and finally, does the Sonos app confirm 5.1 on the playbar?

Thanks.
The reason why A/V units don't have a optical out is because HDMI/HDCP is supposed to be encrypted. However ... they don't tell you that someone broke the encryption about 2 years ago. If Denon and Pioneer put optical outs on their A/V units, it would because they have the decryption in their units, which I doubt that the MPAA would like.

However, there are units sold by 3rd parties (like Monoprice Product # 7974) which does have decryption, but they just don't advertise it.

If you need optical out the best you can do is your TV out or buy a 3rd party unit.

At least that's what I've heard ... I could be wrong! 🙂
anyone has tried hooking sonos 5.1 to receiver to have supported decode dts:x? and what receiver have you used if so. Thanks.
Is there any chance of Sonos updating its sound bar to accept a direct HDMI input from an AV Receiver/Blu Ray and take advantage of these new sound formats.....or is that just a pipe dream? It seems to me a Sonos system would be perfect for lots of wireless surround satellite speakers if only they would join up the dots.
Userlevel 7
Badge +22
Is there any chance of Sonos updating its sound bar to accept a direct HDMI input from an AV Receiver/Blu Ray and take advantage of these new sound formats.....or is that just a pipe dream? It seems to me a Sonos system would be perfect for lots of wireless surround satellite speakers if only they would join up the dots.

Of course. But given recent announcements it seems unlikely to be high on their priority list. You'd be better off deciding what you want with what is available NOW and go get it rather than "waiting" for your perfect solution that probably won't happen
After much searching it seems this post is exactly what I've been looking for.

I want to refresh my home theater (new TV, speakers, etc.) and wanted a SONOS. The deal breaker was not having a headphone jack because I do quite a bit of night time viewing.

If I used this HDMI switch, would that mean I could connect a optical-to-Bluetooth transmitter to the optical out and listen on my BT headset when I want? Is anyone aware of a similar HDMI switch with a headphone out, so if I connect a transmitter it would automatically route audio to that? Or even perhaps a small optical switch that would accept route to two optical outlets so I can switch to my BT transmitter with just a flip of a switch rather than physically disconnect the cable and connect the transmitter?

If only SONOS had a headphone out!!
Userlevel 5
Badge +11
An optical switch would be easier. Either choose two inputs, or for future addition of more equipment maybe more.

E.g.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B015O5DHOG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1