Answered

A strange connection problem for all you techies!

Userlevel 1
Badge
I have recently had to do a full factory reset on my D-Link DIR-890L Router following an unrelated problem.

My Sonos is connected to the router using an Ethernet cable and the system will stream music and has an internet connection.

The thing is it won’t connect to certain parts of the online services: for example, I cannot submit diagnostics, I cannot use third party controllers that rely on the Sonos web api, the Recently Played tab in My Sonos does not update or populate with music.

I have tried contacting Sonos tech support and we switched over to the ISP supplied router. This solved the problem though we don’t know why. As soon as I switched back to the D-Link the problem reoccurred. Unfortunately the ISP router is not great in other ways and so I would prefer to solve the issue with my decent router.

The system previously worked flawlessly so obviously something has changed. I have a Sonos connect which is hardwired to the router, plus three Play:1s and two Sonos Ones Gen 1.

If anyone has any bright ideas about what could be causing the issue I’m stumped!
icon

Best answer by IMFearless 10 July 2019, 23:01

View original

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

14 replies

Maybe a particular port is closed on the router, that allows those bits of the system to communicate with the web? Although to tell the truth, I barely know what that means!

I defer to those with greater expertise .
Userlevel 7
The thing is it won’t connect to certain parts of the online services: for example, I cannot submit diagnostics, I cannot use third party controllers that rely on the Sonos web api, the Recently Played tab in My Sonos does not update or populate with music.

Hi IMFearless

Your issues judging from the excerpt above appear to be Wi-Fi related.

If range extenders are in play remove them and test your system. If range extenders are not in play open your routers admin page and make sure it is broadcasting the 2.4GHz band. If you have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz setup on different SSID's you may have better performance if they are both the same (including the Passphrase). Also, while you're in admin turn off Airtime Fairness. Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!

Hi IMFearless

Your issues judging from the excerpt above appear to be Wi-Fi related.

If range extenders are in play remove them and test your system. If range extenders are not in play open your routers admin page and make sure it is broadcasting the 2.4GHz band. If you have 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz setup on different SSID's you may have better performance if they are both the same (including the Passphrase). Also, while you're in admin turn off Airtime Fairness. Let us know how things sort out.

Cheers!

This doesn't sound to me like this is a WiFi issue of that type. The system is basically playing music fine. But I could be completely wrong.

@IMFearless . I assume you have recently played enabled in the Sonos Settings?
Userlevel 1
Badge
Hi there,

Thanks for the fast response.

Unfortunately it seems to be unrelated to the Wi-Fi settings on the router. The Sonos has internet connection and will stream music. It is simply the bit of the system that it needs to access the Sonos account that won’t work.

I have now factory reset all my Sonos speakers and set them up again as if new. Still no joy.

Everything works normally on the other ISP router but there is something not set up right with the router I am determined to use! It previously worked.

Im sure it will be some minor setting somewhere in the router that is causing an issue.

Thanks for the help so far.
Userlevel 1
Badge
Before the factory reset, Recently Played was enabled but not working. If you tried to toggle it off it would fail to switch off and the switch would remain on but the tab in my Sonos would not populate at all.

Since the factory reset the switch is off and when you try to switch it on it fails. It is as if the setting is toggled remotely but the controller is unable to reach the API that it needs to in order to alter it.

Third party controllers that use the API won’t work.

Trying to submit diagnostics to Sonos won’t work.

Music services all stream clear as a bell.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Maybe a particular port is closed on the router, that allows those bits of the system to communicate with the web? Although to tell the truth, I barely know what that means!

I defer to those with greater expertise .

This is where I'd start. It's most likely a setting issue on the newly reset router. I'd be looking for parental controls or device blocks, but I don't see those particular settings for that router. Perhaps I'm looking at a different software build though. Try selecting Sonos devices on the main status page under "connected clients" then hit the pencil icon to make edits. Maybe Parental controls is on or something denying access...
Userlevel 1
Badge
No parental controls for any of the Sonos or anything else on the network.

Definitely something blocking the traffic to those specific services.

Highly frustrating.
Userlevel 7
Hi again

The reason I say it's Wi-Fi related is because you said you can't submit a diagnostic to Sonos. That is definitely occurring over Wi-Fi.

That said.... Is the ISP hardware a combo router/modem? if so you need to disable the Wi-Fi portion. Also, your router should be set to Router mode and not Bridge mode.

More guessing🤔

Make sure you are not connecting over a "Guest Network" that you may have previously setup.
Having reset the router, do you have the latest firmware?
Or naybe the answer lies here...

https://portforward.com/d-link/dir-890l/
Userlevel 1
Badge
Thanks to everyone who has helped - I have figured it out!

The D-Link Router DIR-890L was connected to the internet via a Netgear DM200 Modem which was also factory reset at the same time as the router.

It seems buried deep in the advanced settings of the DM200 there is a Modem only mode, which is not selected by default. By default the DM200 was set to Modem+Router mode - a mode I did not remember even existed.

Therefore, both the Modem and the Router were in fact acting as a Router which of course causes all sorts of issues left, right and centre.

When I was switching back to the ISP supplied router I was by passing the 890L and the DM200 because the ISP Router has its own modem built in. It therefore allowed the Sonos to act normally as no conflict between the two devices.

Thanks again everyone - I knew I was on the right track but everyone's help made it faster to eliminate all the variables!
@AjTrek1 . You were on right track in your second post. Good call.
Userlevel 7
Badge +26
Great to hear you found it!
Userlevel 7
@John B

That was a “strange” one. 🤔 We as a TEAM kept closing in on the cause and solution. Glad it was resolved. Thanks for the acknowledgment.

Cheers!