Answered

4.0 Home theater with Port as front channels and Amp as rear channels

• 4 June 2020
  • 4 replies

Is it possible?  I’d like to use the Amp connected to my TV ARC port and connect the amp to my REAR speakers.  I’d like to connect the Port to a high power amp and my FRONT speakers.

Does this work?  I know is an unusual setup as the amp is naturally suited for front channel speakers, but I’m trying to get around the lack of an HDMI arc input on the Port.  I know I can use other inputs on the PORT for TV sound, but I’m not interested in that.

I really only need a way to use my TV (ARC), High power amp, and large speakers. If adding an AMP and using it as a rear channel with a PORT on the front gets me there, I can consider it.

icon

Best answer by melvimbe 4 June 2020, 21:49

No, that will not work.  The amp or soundbar connected to the TV can only cover the front speaker channels.  The Port can’t be used for a Sonos home theater system at all. 

The amp itself has a lot of power and shouldn’t be a issue to power your front speakers, however it has a phantom center channel.  You could do a setup with 2 Sonos amp, one for the front and one for the back.

View original

4 replies

No, that will not work.  The amp or soundbar connected to the TV can only cover the front speaker channels.  The Port can’t be used for a Sonos home theater system at all. 

The amp itself has a lot of power and shouldn’t be a issue to power your front speakers, however it has a phantom center channel.  You could do a setup with 2 Sonos amp, one for the front and one for the back.

Thanks you confirmed my suspicion.  If I use the amp as the front channel and the hdmi arc as input will I be able to play that TVs audio on other PORT units?  I’d like to use my vintage amplifiers for other rooms and occasionally have the TV sound available. 
I’m not really interested in rear channel home theater configurations. 

You will be able to play TV audio in other rooms, through the Port or other Sonos speakers, but it will be slightly delayed.  Not an issue if you can’t hear your speakers from different rooms, but can create an echo effect if too close together.  I’ve done this many times an never been much of an issue.

Well if I were to play the tv audio in other rooms it would be to listen to a baseball game. And if that ever resumes I will enjoy the echo as a stadium effect. 
thanks