3rd Party Sub with 2 AMPs in Surround Sound Configuration

• 8 March 2019
  • 3 replies

Is it possible to setup a 4.1 configuration with two Sonos AMPs with all wired speakers including a 3rd-party wired powered subwoofer? I understand that the Sonos AMP with the surround sound speakers cannot be used for the subwoofer, but what about the other Sonos AMP? Does the Sonos software provide a way to enable this configuration?

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

Badge +3
Is it possible to setup a 4.1 configuration with two Sonos AMPs with all wired speakers including a 3rd-party wired powered subwoofer? I understand that the Sonos AMP with the surround sound speakers cannot be used for the subwoofer, but what about the other Sonos AMP? Does the Sonos software provide a way to enable this configuration?
Unfortunately the Sonos Amp does not drive a subwoofer. You'll need a powered subwoofer connected to the front speaker Amp's subwoofer output. Since you have a wired subwoofer you could look for an inexpensive amplifier and connect it to the Amp's sub woofer output and then to your subwoofer.
I understand that I need to use a powered subwoofer, but my question is whether Sonos actually supports this configuration at all. For example, I know that they do not support a Playbar + wired rear speakers connected to a Sonos AMP + a 3rd party subwoofer.
In the case of the Amp being used for the front speakers, yes, it is supported. When the Amp is powering the rear speakers, the answer is no, it would only be receiving the surround signal from the soundbar/Amp that is generating the signal.