2 x Play1 + 2 x Play5 + Sub for large room music

• 28 January 2019
  • 3 replies

Hi, I have 2 x Play1s and a Sub in my large living room. I was gifted 2 additional Play5’s and wanted to add them to the living room. I only use Sonos for music and wanted to get feedback from community on this set-up and recommendations on pairing, room layout EQ for optimal stereo performance. Thanks in advance

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

3 replies

First, you can't add them to the same "room" in the Sonos software. You'll need to set them up as a separate "room", and then group the two rooms together.

I'm not overly fond of this kind of setup, as it tends to make a stereo signal, which is what you're going to be playing, fairly muddy.
Userlevel 7
Badge +21
If you put the 5s and Sub at the front of the room you'll have the best sound there.

You can keep your room setup and put the 5s in other rooms, that gives you good sound where yuo have it now and the 5s semi-stereo and better sound in two other rooms, or a full stereo in one.

You can swap the 5s and 1s and put the 1s in other rooms, I love my bathroom Play 1, or use them as portable speakers.

If you put the 1s in the back of the living room at a lower volume level it can add a bit of depth to the stereo image, some folks like it, some don't.

All easy to try, don't forget to Trueplay each setup if possible.
ThanksIf you put the 5s and Sub at the front of the room you'll have the best sound there.

You can keep your room setup and put the 5s in other rooms, that gives you good sound where yuo have it now and the 5s semi-stereo and better sound in two other rooms, or a full stereo in one.

You can swap the 5s and 1s and put the 1s in other rooms, I love my bathroom Play 1, or use them as portable speakers.

If you put the 1s in the back of the living room at a lower volume level it can add a bit of depth to the stereo image, some folks like it, some don't.

All easy to try, don't forget to Trueplay each setup if possible.

Thanks, this helps. I tried putting the 5's paired in the front and the 1's paired (plus sub) in the back. I am still unsure if this is a great set-up so will try experimenting.