Answered

2 sonos systems on one account

• 18 December 2022
  • 9 replies

Hoping someone can help me here.

I have a two level home with an apartment downstairs.

they are on separate wifi networks.

I have added devices downstairs to that network.

Can I now create a system on the upstairs network and add devices to that 

All under my one user account.

Got me stumped, when I go upstairs and connect to  new network It tells me my system and phone are on different networks.  Which is correct!

So how do I create new system for upstairs?

Thanks

Ged

icon

Best answer by GedNz 20 December 2022, 19:48

View original

9 replies

Hi All,

I managed to sort this out and it was quite simple but took a lot of reading until I discovered a small statement somewhere that explained what the"reset app" function was.

Sonos should make it more obvious what that does.

So I connect to my upstairs network, reset the app and create a new system upstairs.  Simple

Now whichever wifi network I'm connected to I have the applicable system in the app and it works as it should.

Thanks

*Moderator edit: removed unnecessary white space*

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GedNz 

Welcome to the Sonos Community!

In short, yes, you can.

To have two separate systems (of the same version, S1 or S2) on one account, they need to be on separate networks or subnets. This is not necessarily the same as having two WiFi broadcasts, but it can be.

You will need to be absolutely sure that your phone has switched over from one network to the other - just moving it physically won’t necessarily mean it’s jumped WiFi networks.

Once your phone is no longer connected to the downstairs WiFi, you should be able to set up a new upstairs system without issue.

If you encounter problems, then the pertinent question would be - how are these two networks connected, if at all? If you do not have a second router, then you are likely not isolating the networks from each other sufficiently.

I hope this helps.

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

To have two separate systems (of the same version, S1 or S2) on one account, they need to be on separate networks or subnets. This is not necessarily the same as having two WiFi broadcasts, but it can be.

No, you can run multiple systems, S1 or S2, on the same network / subnet, and on the same account. Setup needs to be done with care (easiest to temporarily power down the “other” hardware), but once setup is all smooth sailing.

I don’t think this affects the OP’s scenario, but for reference I wanted to correct the account statement.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

How would you go about choosing which system to connect to in the Sonos app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @controlav 

How would you go about choosing which system to connect to in the Sonos app?

Doesn’t apply to the OP, but I do it this way:

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

Is that the Sonos app?

Userlevel 7
Badge +23

Hi @controlav 

Is that the Sonos app?

No, if I had to use the official apps I would set different devices to different Households, by using “Forget this system” on one then pressing the button on a device on the other. I’d set say the iPad to one and the iPhone to another.

Obviously if one is S1 and one is S2 that isn’t required, as the official apps are separate, but if you have say two S2 systems on the same network I’d do the multiple device trick.

Splitting systems via SSIDs would make it possible to use a single device for two S2 systems, the user would have to switch their wifi connection to swap systems, but the app can handle that I recall (its been a while since I tried it).

It would all be a lot easier if the official apps supported multiple households, like some other apps do ;-)

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @controlav 

Not quite an answer to my earlier question then. 😁

Ah yes - I forgot about the old 2 controller devices trick. Okay - in order to preserve full functionality of both of the Sonos systems and the controlling app(s), you need separate subnets. This is the only setup that we would assist in troubleshooting with, ie. support - which is an option most users would like to preserve. An agent can assist in getting you to a supported setup configuration, however. While I was on technical support did I once encounter a customer using a third-party app to control their system, and I said “Goodbye” shortly afterwards, but not before requesting that they remove it. To be fair, I don’t think it was your app - things were weird.

It does sound like the two systems will be intended for different homes - even though they are in the same building. So, maybe using different controllers is what will usually be happening anyway. It certainly makes things more complicated (mostly in setup), however, and if it will be two homes, they really shouldn’t share a subnet anyway.

@GedNz - I refer you again to my first reply for a supported way of setting things up, but @controlav is technically accurate.

Also worth mentioning is that if you want to use Alexa on both systems or Google Assistant on both systems, you will need separate Sonos accounts and respective assistant accounts so each system can be addressed individually. Having different assistants on the two systems will be fine. Sonos Voice Control isn’t cloud-based, so isn’t affected by this.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi @GedNz 

Resetting the app shouldn’t have been needed, but I’m glad you found a way to do what you sought!