Question

12 speakers running on a switch dropping

• 20 September 2020
  • 6 replies

Hi I have a dozen Sonos one Gen 2 speakers running 24/7; we have some speakers coming online and dropping off randomly.

i don’t really care if they show in the app so long as they keep playing, but they seem to stop when they drop off the network.

topology right now (router) → managed switch → Sonos vlan 24port unmanaged switch → speakers.

the iPad connects to the same Sonos vlan using an AP that hangs off the managed switch.

Apparently this isn’t a supported topology, Sonos says router to speakers is the only way to go. 🤦‍♂️

im planning to remove the managed switch for the Sonos and hardwire a computer to the same 24port unmanaged switch.

WAN is a symmetric 500mb.

thoughts?

thanks!!!

6 replies

What happens if the AP used by the iPad is hung off the 24port unmanaged switch? 

Unfortunately the AP needs to be hooked up to the core as it’s also managing multiple PPSK for vlan assignment.

Typically we would be using commercial 70v speakers, but due to covid we have had to change some key business aspects around and making sonos seem like a great idea 😭

I could hang and unmanaged ap or a Boost off the 24port switch, but hardwiring seems like the most logical options for reducing wifi issues in a noisy environment.  We might have upwards of 500 wifi devices around the speakers, all in one 10,000sq ft room.

I would suspect the VLAN configuration.

I’m hoping that bypassing the managed switch, running the 24port switch out of the router and running the controller off the same 24port switch will solve the issues.  

I assume a fully hardwired setup is the “ideal” solution?

I haven’t checked, but when ethernet is present, i assume the speaker turns the wireless off and defaults to wired operation?

Thanks, for sharing the knowledge!

It should be immune from wireless effects, but I wouldn’t necessarily class it as “ideal” in the broadest sense.  For example I have a large, mostly wireless system and, in terms of reliability and convenience, I’d rather regard that as “ideal”.

I haven’t checked, but when ethernet is present, i assume the speaker turns the wireless off and defaults to wired operation?

The radio is not automatically disabled. (This would not make sense for most users, who typically require a wired device to support wireless players.) You can however opt to disable the “WiFi” (i.e. SonosNet) manually via the Sonos controller.

In most circumstances a wired device will choose to fetch the stream via the Ethernet interface. It’s where STP root path costs are upset by the use of RSTP in the core network that this rule can break down.

By the way, assuming you’re @Hkp123 you’re contravening the community rules by opening multiple accounts.  

It should be immune from wireless effects, but I wouldn’t necessarily class it as “ideal” in the broadest sense.  For example I have a large, mostly wireless system and, in terms of reliability and convenience, I’d rather regard that as “ideal”.

The radio is not automatically disabled. (This would not make sense for most users, who typically require a wired device to support wireless players.) You can however opt to disable the “WiFi” (i.e. SonosNet) manually via the Sonos controller.

In most circumstances a wired device will choose to fetch the stream via the Ethernet interface. It’s where STP root path costs are upset by the use of RSTP in the core network that this rule can break down.

By the way, assuming you’re @Hkp123 you’re contravening the community rules by opening multiple accounts.  

Good info, we do employ rspt in the core. i’ll be sure to avoid that in the change, thank you for the suggestions.

Sorry about the accounts, one is a generic work account used by IT and one my personal.  Didn’t realize it signed in to different accounts when i switched computers.