Question

Direct tv wireless client no audio with hdmi

• 21 October 2016
  • 6 replies

Have a Sonos sound bar, sub and 2 play 1 as surround with a sharp aquos tv. With a direct tv wireless client there is no audio when using hdmi but do when using component and right/left rca. Other items (Apple TV, Xbox) work with hdmi but not the direct tv.

This topic has been closed for further comments. You can use the search bar to find a similar topic, or create a new one by clicking Create Topic at the top of the page.

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Have a Sonos sound bar, sub and 2 play 1 as surround with a sharp aquos tv. With a direct tv wireless client there is no audio when using hdmi but do when using component and right/left rca. Other items (Apple TV, Xbox) work with hdmi but not the direct tv.

Without knowing what model of Sharp Aquos TV you own it's near impossible to provide a plausible answer. I have an idea but hesitate to mention until I know more. Also, are you using a Directv Genie Mini? Please post back with that information.
LC-46D65U TV. - and we are using a genie mini model C41W-100
Userlevel 7
LC-46D65U TV. - and we are using a genie mini model C41W-100

Thanks for posting the additional info. As I thought there are some clients that will not transmit audio over HDMI and allow it to be output via Optical on your Aquos LC-46D65U TV. The following is from the Aquos LC-46D65U manual. See the note at the bottom of the insert.

Even though there is no audio adjustment for the Genie...all is not lost. I suggest connecting the Genie Mini C41W-100 via HDMI to your TV; but use the Genie Optical out for audio. See diagram of Genie Mini C41W100 rear panel - Connections 3 & 5

You will have to invest in an Optical Switch similar to the one shown below to accommodate the Optical outputs from the Genie and your TV. (Genie & TV Optical outs to Optical input each on switch; then Optical out from switch to Playbar).

I haven't tried this setup personally, but it should work. Make sure you can return the equipment you purchase in case it doesn't work. Please post back and let us know the results. Good Luck!

Cheers!
Looks like the genie connection 5 is a digital rca not optical. It wouldn't work with the setup you are suggesting. Thank you for the fast and detailed response
Userlevel 7
Looks like the genie connection 5 is a digital rca not optical. It wouldn't work with the setup you are suggesting. Thank you for the fast and detailed response

Oops! Sorry about missing the RCA Digital Out vs Optical Out. However, as I said before ALL is not lost. Flexson makes a Coaxial to Optical Converter that you can place in between the Genie and the Flexson Optical Switch to Playbar. All other components (i.e. Xbox, PS4 or any other HDMI connection) would use the Optical from the TV to the Flexson Optical Switch to Playbar.

Signal degradation over runs of 3ft - 4ft using the Flexson Coaxial to Optical Converter to the Flexson Optical Switch to Playbar should be nominal to none. You may have to play at slightly higher volume. The other alternative is to eliminate the Flexson Optical Switch and alternate optical connections (i.e. Genie and TV) to the Playbar. I highly recommend buying the best digital coaxial (RCA) cable you can afford. I'd go sub woofer grade.

Here's the link to purchase a Flexson Coaxial to Optical Converter: http://www.rakuten.com/prod/flexson-digital-coaxial-to-optical-audio-converter-for-sonos-playbar/289005550.html?listingId=469570461&sclid=pla_bing_stores123&adid=27314&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping%20-%20Product%20Type&utm_term=1100203636824&utm_content=Tech

Here's a link for the Flexson Optical Switch I mentioned in my first post. It's not cheap but the Flexson 2-way Optical switch is only $20 (USD) cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/FLEXSON-FLX4OS1021-4-Way-Digital-Switcher/dp/B00YNJQNDC

FYI, here's the audio you can expect from the Genie using this setup:
2.0 - Yes
2.1 - Yes w/Sonos Sub
3.0 - Yes *
3.1 - Yes w/Sonos Sub *
5.0 - Doubtful
5.1 - Doubtful
* Simulated Center Channel w/Sonos Playbar

Once again sorry for the oversight. I hope this suggestion resolves your audio issue.

Cheers!
I use wireless HDMI for gaming, watching movies, transmitting video, and much more.
I choose it , because it is very uncomfortable to use cables . It always confuse about the apartment. I found interesting article about top of wireless 2018. If somebody will be interesting
https://www.bestadvisor.com/wireless-hdmi