Answered

Sonos Play 5 Gen 1 5Ghz wifi?

Hi there, I recently repaired (what i guess is a gen 1 play 3 as it doesn't have a play button - just mute and volume) and all worked great - updated it to S2 app and connected via 5Ghz no worries.

Then repaired a gen 1 play 5, connected using S1 app as gen 1 play 5 not supported in S2 app..

Realised it had connected to the 2.4ghz after getting some drops while playing Spotify.

Tried all manner of resets and router settings to get it to show the 5ghz network but no joy.

Can someone who knows for sure let me know if it has 5ghz wifi at all? Just assumed it would as the play 3 does - which I guess is from the same generation.

Thanks for any help 👍

icon

Best answer by Airgetlam 1 May 2024, 00:39

View original

4 replies

https://support.sonos.com/en-us/article/supported-wifi-modes-and-security-standards-for-sonos-products

Excellent link, thanks. No google search would find that. Did the play 3 and play 5 come out at the same time? Seems weird that the cheaper one is more capable and upgradable.

No, according to Wikipedia, they came out a couple of years apart. Which implies pretty different chipsets/electronics inside them. 

Thanks for your help 👍