Answered

NAPSTER ISSUE: 'Unable to connect to Napster' and 'No selections are available'

Badge +1

I create Sonos Playlists with songs from Napster. When I play the playlist I will get an "Unable to Play...lost connection to Napster" message for some songs in the playlist. I will go into the Playlist and see that about 12-15 songs have a black icon next to them (no record cover graphic) and these are the songs that will not play. I have to go and redownload every one of these songs back into the playlist and remove the "bad" song with the black disc icon. It is exactly the same whether I’m on the Sonos (2) Desktop Controller or the Sonos (2) Mobile App. I now have about 500 songs that need to be deleted and reloaded. On top of that, when I search (Napster) for artists/albums/songs, I am now finding that huge numbers of them come up with ‘No selections are available’. Napster is now practically unusable - as is my Sonos system. I have tried: 1) deleting and reloading my Napster Account - no change. 2) Turning off my router for 2 minutes - no change. I am not the first person to post on this topic (it has been raised for at least 5 - 6 years) and it is interesting that there has been no resolution posted previously - indeed Sonos has been quick to shut down the thread. Has anyone actually found a ‘fix’ for this well known issue?

icon

Best answer by Jamie A 3 May 2024, 11:41

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +16

Hi @Clemscot

I’m sorry to hear that you’re having this issue with using Napster on Sonos. I’ve had a look into our system and there is mention of a browsing issue with the error message “unable to browse music” but not an issue with playback, and broken album art/tracks which is different from what you are experiencing.

For the other threads you have seen, we don’t close them unless requested by the thread poster, however threads should close automatically after three months of inactivity.

As you’ve done what troubleshooting steps I’d recommend, I would suggest reaching out to our support team for further assistance.

I hope this helps!

Badge +1

RESOLVED:  I also reported the issue to Napster and it has now been resolved. Napster stated: “...we've recently implemented some changes to the Napster app on your SONOS device”.  So, if you experience the same issue, then Napster may be the cause rather than Sonos. Unfortunately that’s all I’ve got from them, they don’t say what they’ve done or what caused the issue.

I’ve had the same problem for years with Napster and unfortunately it has recently become a lot worse. With the new Sonos update I can’t see how I can add songs to my existing Playlists. 

Badge +1

I think this is starting another topic, but I totally agree - the latest Sonos update is dreadful. On my iPhone, I can’t see how you can do anything with existing Playlists. I am using the MS Desktop Controller version of the Sonos App (on my PC) to change/add/delete within my playlists and that is as user friendly as it always was. 

Yeah, I tried to get hold of someone at Sonos yesterday to talk about this and couldn’t get through.