Answered

Does Sonos work without internet?

• 30 April 2024
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +3
  • Enthusiast II
  • 55 replies

Lost internet for about 2 hours last night. Internal network/wifi was fine. The Sonos app couldn’t find any speakers or do anything. I have music on a local file share and Plex. 

I ended up airplaying from my phone using PlexAmp, which pulls files off my local Plex server. I was even able to group speakers by holding down the play/pause button. So the speakers were on the network. A variety of speakers (Ones, Move 1/2, Amp). 

Is this something goofy with my network or is this just they way it is?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 30 April 2024, 19:03

View original

4 replies

I don’t know Plex, but from a local NAS hard drive, music on which has been indexed by Sonos, internet is not needed for music to be played from that NAS via Sonos. 

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Yeah I have a l local file share indexed by Sonos. I couldn’t even get into the app - it wouldn’t find my system. 

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Might be your phone acting up. Maybe not using the local network as it would show connectivity issues with the ISP down.

If it happens again you could try turning off the phone’s cell data link and seeing if it can connect. You could also try a non-cellular device to connect to the Sonos.

Userlevel 4
Badge +3

Who knows.  That sounds like a possibility - I’ll try that the next time internet is down.