Answered

Removed SonosNet and saw drastic improvement...but my Subs are now disconnected.

• 30 April 2024
  • 1 reply

Userlevel 2

Hi there! I’ve been having significant issues with my Sonos system for the last few months; these issues have happened in the past but always resolved themselves. Issues such as rooms dropping completely from the UI, rooms not being able to be added to a group, rooms dropping music when grouped, not being able to connect to SiriusXM, etc.

I’ve been doing a lot of searching and reading here and on Reddit, and decided to wire as many of my devices as possible and move off SonosNet to my wifi network. Some info about my system:

• 2 Arcs, each paired with an Amp and Sub (2 TV rooms)
  • 2 Ones paired in one room
  • 3 additional Ones in other rooms (screened porch, garage, kids room)
  • 2 additional Amps (patio, gym)
  • 9 Ports
  • 1 Move, 1 Roam
  • Ubiquiti dream machine with many managed switches and 7 backhauled APs, latest protocol. My network is humming, we’ve invested to make it awesome as I work remotely and can say it was not the problem.

On Saturday, I turned off wifi on every wired device and I also removed my Boost. And things are MUCH MUCH better. I mean, the system is lightning fast, every room works, adding and removing works smoothly, nothing drops. Even the Move/Roam and Ones are working well.

But things cannot be perfect, can they? It seems that i need to have wifi enabled on the Amp or Arc to have it connect to the Sub...or I need to wire the Sub…? 

• Is that a limitation of certain Sub hardware, or all sub hardware? (If i got a new sub does this go away)
  • Is there a way to turn Wifi on but not have SonosNet on? Doesn’t appear to be the case.
  • Or do i have to wire my subs? Not the end of the world, but, not ideal….

I appreciate any help here. Thanks?

icon

Best answer by Stanley_4 30 April 2024, 18:34

View original

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

When you turn off the radio in a Sonos device it can no longer use the radio to connect to other Sonos. --  Disable WiFi disables the radio, not just WiFi.

You could try wiring All your Sonos and see if that works for you.

I looked at turning off Sonosnet but keeping the 5 GHz Sub/Surround link active when wiring an Arc but it doesn’t seem possible.